Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
06-15-2013, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 10:53 PM by LincolnMan.)
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
Gene and Donna: thank you for both of your thoughts on this. Gene, I own the book you referenced but still have not read it yet. There are so many to read. As many of you many know, I am a psychologist. Donna, you are correct to say that Mary would not be institutionalized today. Even if she were placed on a modern psychiatric inpatient unit today- she wouldn't be there long- maybe a week or so. There are still 288 State Hospitals in the USA today- but Mary would not meet criteria for admission. I think she was indeed mentally ill- but I personally believe it is far overstated. While I respect what Robert Todd did, I don't think it was necessary. But I also realize there were several factors that came into play in the decision. I just don't think that strictly from a psychiatric perspective it was necessary. She was placed in the hospital because she was also Mary Lincoln. As Mary Lincoln she had a lot of baggage-as Donna alluded too. Perhaps more than anything, Robert made the choice because he took on the role of the "Lincoln legacy protector"- and Mary wasn't fulfilling the script he felt she should have. It's common nowadays to speak of Mary as having Bipolar Disorder- and maybe she did- but I think the things that people say about her in a negative way were more part and parcel of her personality- and those facets of her character were not likely to change- no amount of treatment or institutionalization would have an impact on it. I think, to put it in modern terms, Mary got a raw deal. I think the incident added to the already prevailing thinking that people had about her- which continues to this day. I don't necessarily think Robert Todd had any motives in his actions other than honorable- but there are those who do. Sorry for the rambling- hope it makes sense.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal? - LincolnMan - 06-15-2013 10:43 PM