An update on research of interest.
11-03-2016, 05:14 PM
An update on research of interest.
I'm trying to find Thomas F. Harney, after the war, without much success, so I resorted to "winging it". Since he stated that he planned to return to "Nuawlins" (that's New Orleans, the way they say it in "Luzianna"), but he was too late for the 1860 Census and too early for the 1870 Census, but he was right on time for the "Find a Grave" site. Also, I kept in mind, that because the Amnesty Proclamations were yet to be heard from, he would be trying to hide. So, I searched very loosely - - and I found an "F. Harney", who died in 1866. That's Weak information, but very encouraging. I have sent for Vital Records. Wish me luck! PS. I cannot find this Harney anywhere else.

More on Sarah. (Sarah who? I don't know for sure - she has 4 names that I can think of.) Since we now have more info on husband #2, Jacob Long, I researched him in depth. True, they apparently tied the knot, but she does not appear in any of his records. There seems to be a lack of cohabitation and connubial bliss. She is not shown in the Census records, but he lists all of his children, all of their children, all the cooks, and household help. The same is true of his Obituary, but never mentions Sarah.

She married him using a name nobody recognizes, Nettie G. Slater. It appears that she wanted to use his name, but he had nothing to do with her name. Thus, she destroyed any way of searching for her. (She was also worried about the Amnesty Proclamation, in 1866). Apparently IT WORKED! It took us 150+ years , to tie them together.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
An update on research of interest. - SSlater - 11-03-2016 05:14 PM