Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters
08-09-2016, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 07:26 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters
(08-09-2016 02:23 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Several years back, I, along with Barry Cauchon and John Elliott, uncovered the names of the Press reporters (and yes, there WAS an "AP" in 1865) who covered the Conspiracy Trial. I've been digging around a bit with the Wirz Trial and execution today and took a really good look at the press reporters photographed by Alexander Gardner on the morning of the hanging, November 10, 1865 at the Old Captiol Annex. I found out that there is a "Key" as to the identities of these guys and I bet dimes to donuts that most of this press gang also covered the Conspiracy Trial and Execution as well.

I am currently waiting for the LOC to forward me the "Key" so we can have a look-see at these fellows and determine who is who! BTW - I don't see GATH amongst this crew....

Sure hope they send the key. Wonder if the cop is Richards? Notice the "conductor" hats on two of the men - much like the mystery photo we were discussing last week.

Just found this interesting tidbit about the first execution in Washington, D.C.:

First Hanging in the District: The first case for murder was tried the same year when James Mc Girk, an Irish immigrant bricklayer was tried in April 1802 in the Federal Circuit Court for the murder of his wife. McGirk was convicted and sentenced to death by hanging. After various appeals including an attempt to gain a presidential pardon McGirk was hung from a gallows on October 10, 1802. The temporary gallows was erected at the foot of Capitol Hill. Large crowds attended the day of his execution and after the first attempt to hang Mc Girk, failed, a second try was made, and a new rope placed around his neck. McGirk then jumped from the gallows and snapped his neck. The crowd rapidly gathered around his corpse to gain bits of the hangman rope which were widely believed to cure head ache and tooth ache. Washington Federalist, April 14, 1802 and November 23, 1802. The last hanging open to the general public was that of Charles Guiteau, hanged on June 30, 1882, before a crowd of 4,000. Guiteau had shot President James A. Garfield twice in the back on July 2, 1881.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - BettyO - 08-09-2016, 02:23 PM
RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - L Verge - 08-09-2016 06:44 PM