Lincoln Cottage April 9 Event with Don Doyle and Sidney Blumenthal
03-28-2015, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2015 10:10 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln Cottage April 9 Event with Don Doyle and Sidney Blumenthal
(03-27-2015 08:44 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 07:42 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Yes, it's a wonderful place, and I sort of envied the tour guide on her job. The tour was quite short, I missed some things to be mentioned, or pointed out more in detail, that IMO should have. E.g. that JWB planned to abduct A. L. on the way to the S.H., that the latter partly wrote the EP there, that the Stantons used to live next door, or anecdotes taking place there, like the one of A. L. and Stanton saving some wild turkeys from a tree, as recalled by Stanton's son.

I bought this book at the souvenir shop:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0195179854...SY200_QL40
I have yet only thumbed through it, but it seems a good book on the topic.
When I was there the tour guide mentioned all those things with the possible exception of the turkeys...but it may have been brought up by a member of the tour group with an interest in Lincoln. Angel

Pinsker's book is very good Eva. I think you will like it.

Oh, we started the tour in the garden, so the turkeys, respectively the question whether the tree still exists (No!) was brought up by a member of the tour when the guide was about to go inside. By the time we reached the desk the tour member had decided it was probably too impolite to ask to much about unmentioned points, as well as pointing out a misquotation in the guide's power point presentation ("I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky" - Lincoln's original words weren't that faithful: "I think to lose Kentucky is nearly the same as to lose the whole game," September 22, 1861 letter to Orville Browning). I kept quite, but I just think a "teaching institution" should be as correct as possible about such matters. But it was the same at Ford's Theater.

This was actually taken at the Soldiers' Home (which you can see in the background). I think I easily beat Mr. Lincoln on careless clothing in this one. Well, one has to prioritize, my paramount objective was surviving the temps (and in this life I probably won't make it anymore to become a graceful southern belle...). I was glad Mary wasn't around.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Cottage April 9 Event with Don Doyle and Sidney Blumenthal - Eva Elisabeth - 03-28-2015 09:38 AM