French students have some questions
01-28-2014, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 02:54 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: French students have some questions
Lincoln could have avoided the war. "Kicking the can down the road," ala Buchanon. But this is not what Real Leaders do. I cannot imagine the difficulties Lincoln must have faced. An unpopular war. The shocking death toll that, unlike on the battlefields of future presidents, were literally right in his face. Washington D.C. was part of the war zone, surrounded by the enemy, imbedded with spies and Confederate sympathizers. The White House containing Lincoln's family was a target. The president himself, faced the risks of assassination on a daily basis. The hard decisions to further incite hostilities toward him, not only by his enemies but also by supporters, by emancipating the slaves and then again by the 13th amendment shows great courage and conviction.
While many will call Lincoln a hero, or freedmen have called him "The Liberator" or "The Great Emancipator." Some will not. It's ok.
In a world where the word "hero" is now so watered down that it applies to ball players and movie and pop stars; I myself, while in complete agreement with Laurie that Lincoln was what our Leaders should be or strive to be, would be happy to hear my children refer to Lincoln as a hero.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: French students have some questions - brtmchl - 01-28-2014 02:41 PM