French students have some questions
01-27-2014, 07:50 PM
RE: French students have some questions
Above all else, the U.S. needed strong leadership during the most crucial part of our history. I'm not sure that Lincoln would classify himself as a hero, however. I think that designation has been created by subsequent generations and historians. He was a strong leader and surrounded himself mostly with strong personalities who could help him achieve his goals. Last year's movie "Lincoln" is based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's book, Team of Rivals. If you can get a copy, it is very large; but it does explain the rather unique men who formed Mr. Lincoln's Cabinet (i.e. men like Seward and Stanton). Lincoln did not work alone.

Mr. Lincoln also became President at a somewhat opportune time - after a series of Presidents who had been unable to accomplish very much, especially in solving sectional differences among the states themselves and also in addressing the issue of slavery. His unique political skills made him stand out. He also fought a war that brought technology to the forefront, and he embraced it. That helped win the war for the Union, and everyone loves a winner.

After saying this, however, remember that Lincoln was hated by many Americans during this time, both North and South. We have to study what life was like then and put ourselves in our ancestors' mind-set in order to understand the feelings that Lincoln generated in people. It has been nearly 150 years since his death, and we still argue over his rightful place in history.

Was he a hero or was he the anti-Christ? To me, he was neither. He was a brilliant politician who considered all angles and came along at the right time in our history where he could achieve greatness. He did what he had to do in order to save the Union, but not to heroic proportions in my opinion. The men on both sides who fought and died for their respective values and ways of life earned heroic stature also. Lincoln's took a little longer to be evaluated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: French students have some questions - L Verge - 01-27-2014 07:50 PM