Inherited 26 1865 New York Herald Lincoln Assassination Newspapers
12-04-2013, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 07:47 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Inherited 26 1865 New York Herald Lincoln Assassination Newspapers
(12-04-2013 07:11 PM)historybuff22 Wrote:  The value does not decrease or increase because it was bound. The only difference is that newspapers in a bound volume tend to be better preserved because they have not been exposed to lengthy periods of sunlight and being bound helps keep the moisture out.

One last aspect of preserving pre-Custer Masacre newspapers is to keep them in climate controlled buildings. That is to say, NOT in an unheated garage or attic.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Agreed on the climate control issue, and the temperature has to remain constant between prescribed upper and lower degrees. This holds true for antiques also.

Moisture levels have to be monitored also. In historic house settings, we often use hygrometers in various rooms to assure the proper humidity levels. My HVAC engineers are used to dealing with community centers, office buildings, etc. through our government agency. I have finally "trained" the head guy on how to treat historic structures. I actually found that the best way to break through to them is to teach them the history of Surratt House. For some reason, that makes them feel protective of it. It might also have something to do with the appreciation luncheon that we hold each January for all maintenance people who have helped us through the preceding year.

When we were first opening the museum and selecting furnishings, I was able to raid my family home of things that had been stored in the attic for over one hundred years (my family moved in in 1862, and I swear they never threw anything out!). I would start discussing climate control at Surratt House with my mother, and she would start laughing. There was no such thing in our attic, but the things were in good condition anyhow. Our attic would fluctuate in temperatures as high as 100+ in the summer and below freezing in the winter. Mom swore they would probably fall apart now that they were being taken care of (so far, she's been wrong).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Inherited 26 1865 New York Herald Lincoln Assassination Newspapers - L Verge - 12-04-2013 07:45 PM