Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
12-15-2013, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 04:39 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
Mike, the "And?" was, as I said, quite provoking. For me as for you, smacking anyone, especially a beloved person, with firewood or anything else is absolutely a no-go, and beyond reason and imagination!!! Also I didn't intend to express doubts that such incidents happened at the Lincolns'. I ONLY wanted to point out that this still doesn't allow to conclude it made Abraham Lincoln regretting his marriage, as bad as we might find and as bad as it might have been what Mary did. It is nowhere told what Abraham Lincoln himself thought about Mary's misbehavior.
As for Herndon, he disliked Mary and tended to put and tell such things much to Mary's disadvantage. I think he stretched and exaggerated the truth at times, so I was wondering if it is possible that he made the incidents worse that they admittedly already were. But you are right, a smaller size of the bandage wouldn't have made abuse any better.

As for the quote, you possibly mean what Abraham Lincoln said to a correspondent to the "Christian Register" at a White House reception: "My wife is as handsome as when she was a young girl and I, a poor nobody, fell in love with her, and what is more, I have never fallen out" ?!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Gene C - 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-15-2013 01:05 AM