Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
08-25-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
If the following questions have already been discussed or answered, I apologize. I have checked some, but not all respective threads and posts.

1.) Does a court transcript or something smilar exist, which states in original wording what Mary Lincoln was accused of in the 1875 trial?

2.) On July 3, 1873, Orville Browning wrote in his diary about the following conversation with David Davis:

"At breakfast I took a seat by Judge Davis...I referred to Mrs. Lincoln; spoke of her unhappy and ungovernable temper, but added that great injustice had been done her; that her faults had been exaggerated, and that I believed that all the charges against her of having pilfered from the White House were false. The Judge replied that the proofs were too many and too strong against her to admit of her guilt; that she was a natural born thief; that stealing was a sort of insanity with her, and that she was carried away, from the White House, many things that were of no value to her after she had taken them, and that she had carried them away only in obedience to her irresistible propensity to steal."

Davis' statement, especially for a judge, is a hard judgement; without any proof I would call it a serious case of slander. I suppose he refers to the investigations against Mary by the Commitee on House Approbations in 1866, but I have always thought they came up empty. So, what proofs might Davis have referred to? Did Mary really steal any White House property?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-25-2013 02:32 PM