Sic Semper Tyrannis - Revenge for the South
11-19-2012, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 09:42 PM by J. Beckert.)
RE: Sic Semper Tyrannis - Revenge for the South
Rathbone stated Booth said something in the box and he thought it was "Freedom".

Sic Semper is a given I think and most say it was said on the stage. There was a story that on the day of the assassination Booth asked someone if tyrannis was spelled with two "n"'s or two "r"'s. Anyone remember the source for that?

What I thought was interesting, because no one else reported it, was that witness Ferguson stated as he neared the wings, Booth shook the knife and said - "I have done it". Revenge for the South and the South is avenged have been reported also. I believe both were stated from the stage.

I also think whatever he said was part of the plan. I don't see Booth being spontaneous. This was his moment in the spotlight as a great Southern hero. I don't think he wanted to leave before he made a statement about what he had done.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sic Semper Tyrannis - Revenge for the South - J. Beckert - 11-19-2012 09:39 PM
RE: Sic Semper Tyrannis - Revenge for the South - Hess1865 - 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM