Something about John Wilkes Booth you may not know...
09-05-2012, 04:28 PM
RE: Something about John Wilkes Booth you may not know...
(08-31-2012 10:01 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  
(08-31-2012 08:38 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Which brings to mind something I believe very much: Booth was not insane or the Devil incarnate. So much of the early literature portrayed him that way. He was, instead, a man who had strong beliefs who acted on them. To JWB-his actions made sense. We may disagree with what he did but we don't need to demonize him. Do you agree?

I'm sorry, but I don't. Booth was a coward who snuck up behind a defenseless man and shot him in the back of the head. While I completely disagree with everything the South fought for, they at least faced their enemies face front. Booth deserves demonization, in my opinion.

Best
Rob

An interesting viewpoint and a very pertinent one. Some people see him as a hero, others as a manipulative, misguided egotist. He seemed a darn sight more determined than the others, and definitely at the helm of the proceedings, at least on the surface. I can't help but think that he was more driven for the glory of it, which seems apparent from several things I've read about him. That he was manipulative of the others also seems undeniable. Perhaps he was just more passionate about it, or less focused on the what if's. The whole plot had more holes in it than a gruyere cheese. And why didn't any of them trouble to disguise themselves prior to the act if not for the glory aspect?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something about John Wilkes Booth you may not know... - MaddieM - 09-05-2012 04:28 PM