Who's good at tracking obscure details?
02-14-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: Who's good at tracking obscure details?
Edward D. Baker and AL went way back to their days in Springfield as practicing attorneys together. He and AL were extremely close, so much so that Baker spent the Sunday afternoon before the battle with the Lincolns, then Baker rode to Poolesville and his demise 2 days later. Lincoln's second son was named for Ed Baker. Baker remains the only sitting U.S. Senator to ever die in combat. Baker received a promotion to general but did not accept the position as he would have had to resign his senate seat which he did not want to do. His body was returned to Washington City and he was laid out in the East Room of the White House. I am unfamiliar with Wat Bowie being in that area. I have not come across his name in all my research. Turner Ashby was in Loudoun County some in the early days of the war but not much. Some fellow by the name of Mosby was much more active in that area. Incidently, Conrad's Ferry became White's Ferry after the war when Elijah "Lige" White bought a large amount of property in vicinity including the ferry. I know, TMI. I no longer live in MD but that was the area in which I grew up and lived until 12 years ago.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who's good at tracking obscure details? - Dennis Urban - 02-14-2016 09:34 PM