about a flag and some relics
01-02-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: about a flag and some relics
(01-02-2015 12:05 PM)loetar44 Wrote:  I recall, reading years ago, that Abraham Lincoln was buried with (1) the American flag and (2) some relics of an ill-fated Arctic expedition, led by a British explorer. First, I doubt that Lincoln was buried with the flag, because I also have read somewhere that out of respect for the flag, flags should be displayed over the coffins, but should not be buried with them. Perhaps, I’m wrong. Second, I tend to believe that indeed some relics of an Artic expedition were put in Lincoln’s coffin, but can’t remember when and why that was done and where I read that. Possibly someone in the forum has more info re. the flag and the relics. Thanks.

Kees, your memory is outstanding!! This happened when the coffin was in New York.

"Parker Snow had presented an interesting relic to be interred in President Abraham Lincoln's coffin. In the 26 April 1865 New York Herald Page 1 Column 4, was the following article: "Captain Parker Snow, the distinguished commander of the Arctic and Antarctic exploring expeditions, presented to Gen. Dix, with a view of their being interred in the coffin of the President, some interesting relics of Sir John Franklin's ill fated expedition. They consisted of a tattered leaf of a Prayer Book, on which the first word legible was the word "Martyr," and a piece of fringe and some portions of uniform. These suggestive relics, which are soon to be buried out of sight, were found in a boat lying under the head of a human skeleton."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Parker_Snow

Also, it is mentioned in the book "Lincoln and New York" here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=rrvgU3...22&f=false
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
about a flag and some relics - loetar44 - 01-02-2015, 12:05 PM
RE: about a flag and some relics - RJNorton - 01-02-2015 01:29 PM