Interesting "little" Lincoln stories
09-24-2014, 05:10 PM
RE: Interesting "little" Lincoln stories
Thank you, Scott. I did find the story in Dr. Murr's writing but don't see a footnote.

"Lincoln's great stature and lumbering gait were a subject of neighborhood comment, and Mrs. Lincoln and his father often joked him concerning them also. The elder Lincoln was in the habit of remarking that "Abe looked like he had been chopped out with an ax and needed the jack plane to smooth him down." Mrs. Lincoln said to him on one occasion when she saw him "bump" his head as he came through the cabin door: "Abe, I don't care much about the mud you carry in on the floor, for that can be scrubbed, but you must be careful with my whitewashed ceiling and not damage it." The next day young Lincoln hunted up a crowd of youngsters, and after causing them to wade through a pond of muddy water, he marched them to the Lincoln cabin, picked them up one by one and made them walk across the ceiling with their muddy feet. When Mrs. Lincoln came home and noted the condition of the ceiling she laughed right heartily. Abraham then walked a long distance after lime, prepared whitewash, and once more made the cabin ceiling immaculate."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting "little" Lincoln stories - RJNorton - 09-24-2014 05:10 PM