The carriage (and coachman) that took the Lincoln party to Ford's Theatre
09-12-2014, 08:59 PM
RE: The carriage (and coachman) that took the Lincoln party to Ford's Theatre
(09-12-2014 08:08 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 06:57 PM)Anita Wrote:  Here's the answer to number 5. http://www.southbendtribune.com/studebak...b2370.html

The Lincoln carriage will be viewed by the first fifty people to sign up for the Friday tour into D.C. at the 2015 Surratt Conference. The full Smithsonian exhibit on the Lincoln assassination is part of our remembrance of that sad event. That will be the morning part of the tour; then on to lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and a epic musical performance next door at Ford's Theatre. The theme of the musical is based on Lincoln's words during the war as well as the experiences of the soldiers.

Jim is correct about Burke being the coachman, and I think we have covered the discussion of who came first in the carriage - the Lincolns to the Harris residence, or vice versa - and I think we settled on a source that had the Lincolns picking up Clara and Henry.

I have also recently read the seating arrangement on the trip, but for the life of me cannot remember where. Was it on this forum?

I found the answer as to who sat where on Roger's other wonderful website dedicated to Mr. Lincoln. Clara and Henry rode backwards in the carriage (directly behind the coachman) while President and Mrs. Lincoln faced forward. Next question : Was the carriage's hood up or down?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The carriage (and coachman) that took the Lincoln party to Ford's Theatre - L Verge - 09-12-2014 08:59 PM