Inherited 26 1865 New York Herald Lincoln Assassination Newspapers
12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
RE: Inherited 26 1865 New York Herald Lincoln Assassination Newspapers
Yes, people are still looking for originals of these newspapers. In my 40 years experience with historical newspapers I have personally bought, sold or brokered in excess of ONE MILLION historic newspapers. 80% of the value in this archive are both 4/15 and 4/28 editions. Depending on which editions the 4/15/1865 are, the value for the 2 ranges from $1,500 to $4,500. The 4/28 (capture of Booth) ranges from $150-$250.

Yes, I have read most of my Lincoln assassination and aftermath newspapers. I also have about 1,000 photocopies of documents from various institutions are the country. I am also lucky enough to have photographs of the original handwritten depositions given by people present at the Booth barn to lawyers. At this point I have put together a presentation "Little-Known Facts About the Lincolns and the Civil War." I can fill a full 2 1/2 hours with this information. I've given a 2-hour version to Civil War buffs and they advised me that about 80% of the facts they had not known before.

As to preservation of the newspapers, two key factors are exposure to sunlight and moisture. Remove these 2 facets and the collector does not need to worry much about deterioration. Newspaper pre-Custer Massacre were printed on the SAME paper that currency was printed on. Thus, they do not have any acid in them and do not turn yellow or become brittle. Thus they can be handled extensively without wearing the paper down. White gloves are not necessary.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Inherited 26 1865 New York Herald Lincoln Assassination Newspapers - historybuff22 - 12-03-2013 09:51 PM