In Mary's personal letters....
08-04-2014, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 03:59 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: In Mary's personal letters....
I think it's more obvious than ever before that historians and biographers have taken the fact(s) that A) the Lincolns moved into separate rooms and had no more children after Tad and B) Mary wrote a letter referring to a "disease of a womanly nature" of which she had been "more or less a sufferer" after Tad's birth...and have come to the conclusion that the Lincolns had no marital relations after Tad was born.

It's really astonishing when you think of it, that that is ALL it's based on.(Unless there is other evidence I am not aware of)

First of all...I am not sure there is an injury a woman could suffer during childbirth that would render her permanently incapable of having relations. Tears eventually heal over time. And Mary's letter did not refer to an injury...she spoke of a "disease"...the nature of which is not really a mystery when one takes into account her 1863 letter to her husband about her female suffering during her NYC holiday with Lizzie and Tad.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
In Mary's personal letters.... - eperon - 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - LincolnToddFan - 08-04-2014 03:54 PM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - Anita - 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM