Throwing more Mudd in the game
09-25-2013, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 01:38 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game
I am not really sure, Joe, but I think that it was. I'm trying to remember the stage driver's name so that I can search some indices.

There is also a reference some place about Booth telling people that he was still tired from his horse ride back to D.C. and had gotten lost and had gone miles off track. That might lend credence to the thought that he found his way finally to T.B. and decided to board the horse and take the more comfortable stagecoach the rest of the way into the city.

And that statement just put another question in my mind (stop groaning!): Ignoring the fact that Booth had a broken leg, how uncomfortable would his backside and thighs be after riding a horse at top speed for thirty miles with only brief stops?

Finally remembered the name of the man to whom Booth wrote to request help in retrieving a weapon and was able to find great details in Ed Steers's work, Blood on the Moon (an excellent source, easy to read, concise, and very good for finding reference points). The man was Dominic Burch, who managed the Bryantown Tavern and had housed Booth on his first visit to the area on November 11. Booth wrote to Burch on November 14, 1864, about the missing gun.

That would make it on Booth's first visit, not the second one to which I was referring. My bad.

I should also apologize for a typo that I made in one of my first posts on this thread. Dr. and Mrs. Mudd were married in 1857, not in 1859.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Throwing more Mudd in the game - L Verge - 09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - L Verge - 09-25-2013 01:28 PM