Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address
09-23-2013, 12:48 PM
RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address
(09-23-2013 05:25 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Joe, I sure hope you didn't touch that hat when you visited Hildene.

They wouldn't even let me see it last January when I was there. The room it's displayed in was being worked on and was closed to the public. Funny you should mention touching it, Roger. After getting nowhere with my Yankee charm, I decided bombarding them with questions on it may make them say - for Pete's sake, just show him the hat! While that didn't work either, I did learn that RTL had at one time given it away to a friend in Dorset, Vt. The friend's family donated it when Hildene was made a museum and I was told for years it was just displayed on a table. No case or preservation efforts at all. At the end of the night, it was simply put away.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - J. Beckert - 09-23-2013 12:48 PM