Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address (/thread-1180.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - RJNorton - 09-22-2013 05:19 AM

Article here.

When I checked the poll results it was 60% of that web page's visitors voting "yes."

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - L Verge - 09-22-2013 07:12 PM

(09-22-2013 05:19 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Article here.

When I checked the poll results it was 60% of that web page's visitors voting "yes."

Well, I just voted "no."

(09-22-2013 05:19 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Article here.

Well, I just voted "no."

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - J. Beckert - 09-22-2013 07:27 PM

(09-22-2013 07:12 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Well, I just voted "no."

I vote no, also. Documents that fragile are on borrowed time already. Look at the condition of the Declaration of Independence. The stovepipe hat that is on display at Hildene is believed to be the one Lincoln wore to Gettysburg. That would travel a lot better than a copy of the address.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - RJNorton - 09-23-2013 05:25 AM

Laurie and Joe, you are very influential people. The "yes" vote is currently down to 56%.

Joe, I sure hope you didn't touch that hat when you visited Hildene.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - Gene C - 09-23-2013 07:34 AM

(09-23-2013 05:25 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Laurie and Joe, you are very influential people. The "yes" vote is currently down to 56%.

No big surprise, per Laurie's post #2, did you vote twice?
and, I agree with Joe

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - L Verge - 09-23-2013 09:04 AM

I swear that I did not vote twice, and I don't even remember hitting "post" twice on this site! You just gave me the idea of going back to the survey on my work computer and voting, however.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - J. Beckert - 09-23-2013 12:48 PM

(09-23-2013 05:25 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Joe, I sure hope you didn't touch that hat when you visited Hildene.

They wouldn't even let me see it last January when I was there. The room it's displayed in was being worked on and was closed to the public. Funny you should mention touching it, Roger. After getting nowhere with my Yankee charm, I decided bombarding them with questions on it may make them say - for Pete's sake, just show him the hat! While that didn't work either, I did learn that RTL had at one time given it away to a friend in Dorset, Vt. The friend's family donated it when Hildene was made a museum and I was told for years it was just displayed on a table. No case or preservation efforts at all. At the end of the night, it was simply put away.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - LincolnMan - 09-24-2013 08:06 AM

I also vote "no." It's too risky for the safety of the document. It does make me wonder, however, how a copy of the Emancipation Proclamation was permitted to go "on tour" a couple of years ago.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - RJNorton - 09-24-2013 08:25 AM

The "Yes" vote continues to drop - now at 54%.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - Anita - 09-24-2013 09:10 PM

I vote NO! For all the reasons NO voters have expressed here. We need to think of future generations.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - My Name Is Kate - 09-25-2013 02:15 AM

I just voted NO.

Is that actually Lincoln in the top center of the photo? He has too much facial hair, and I didn't know Lincoln ever had a mustache. I thought there were no pictures of him delivering the Gettysburg address.

Has Lincoln's handwriting ever been analyzed (by a non-biased expert, ie, not a Lincoln lover or hater)?

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - Eva Elisabeth - 09-25-2013 04:21 AM

(09-25-2013 02:15 AM)My Name Is Kate Wrote:  Is that actually Lincoln in the top center of the photo? He has too much facial hair, and I didn't know Lincoln ever had a mustache. I thought there were no pictures of him delivering the Gettysburg address.
Obviously I'm blind. I can't be just my lacking computer skills. Neither do I see any picture with Lincoln wearing a mustache, nor do I see this ominous vote button or result. Or do you have to join facebook for that?

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - RJNorton - 09-25-2013 05:21 AM

Good morning, Eva. I am not a Facebook member. Scroll down under the picture at the top and there is a poll box where it says "Do you think the Library of Congress should let Gettysburg borrow this priceless document?" Below that there is a red vote button. Just click on that button and the results show. Another screen appears and shows the results. I just did it and current results are:

Yes 54%
No 44%
I'm not sure 2%

Kate, the picture below the poll is a photograph that was discovered in 1952 among a collection of Mathew Brady negatives in the National Archives. It's quite hazy, but that is President Lincoln in the left-center of the crowd. He is not wearing a hat. The photo was taken well before he gave his address. There is more information here. You are correct - no photo of Lincoln actually delivering the address is known to exist.

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - Eva Elisabeth - 09-25-2013 09:11 AM

Hi Roger. Thanks for trying to help, but neither the poll box nor the question or a red button is anywhere on my screen, not under any picture or elsewhere. Or I'm blind indeed. Or it's one of the occasional "not available for your country"-cases (although here there was no respective message). I think Laurie can click her "no"- button once more for me...

RE: Gettysburg officials would like to borrow a copy of the Gettysburg Address - RJNorton - 09-25-2013 09:26 AM

Hi Eva. Let's try one more thing. Do you have a second browser on your computer? If so, try going to that link in the other browser. From having my own website I know that browsers sometimes interpret code differently, and thus web pages can be displayed differently in different browsers. This is even true with our forum as I know Firefox users have had difficulties not encountered by Internet Explorer or Chrome users. At least worth a try.