A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
07-24-2012, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 06:59 AM by BettyO.)
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
(07-24-2012 06:51 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Betty, thank you for your outstanding analysis. Nobody, absolutely nobody, knows this man like you do! I do have a question. I am a believer in Mary Surratt's complicity as presented in Kate Larson's terrific book. Do you think JWB might have shielded Lewis Powell from the true degree of her involvement? If so, this might explain why Powell may have sincerely believed in her innocence prior to the execution.

Hey, Roger!

I, too am a definite supporter of Kate Larson's viewpoint of Mary Surratt. The woman was far more involved in the complicity than believed. At one instance (and I have the article in my files; I'll have to find it), while staying at the Surratt House, Powell made a statement in Mrs Surratt's parlor, in her presence, in which the kidnap venture could be inferred. Surratt was home at the time and was there. He beckoned Powell out into the hallway and reprimanded him, saying that his mother should NOT know how much they were involved and told the other youth to "never mention the kidnap again in my mother's presence." Powell apologized and told Surratt that he wouldn't want "my mother to know what I was involved in, either."

If this report is true, then Powell knew that Mrs. Surratt was deeply implicated in the plot. Whether or not, this is so, Powell's confirmations of her innocence in the death cell could be simply pure chivalry on young Powell's part....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character - BettyO - 07-24-2012 06:58 AM