Some Questions about Lincoln!!!
06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Some Questions about Lincoln!!!
Hey everyone,

I am finishing up some more research on Abraham Lincoln and I need some help!!! Here are the questions that I need help with:

1. What was the name of the law firm that Lincoln worked at that was run by John Todd Stuart in Springfield following Lincoln's stint as a state legislator?

2. Why in 1846 in Lincoln's quest to become the governor of Illinois did the democratic candidate Peter Cartwright focus on Lincoln's religious issues?

3. Why did the Illinois people dislike Lincoln's opposition to the Mexican American War?

4. Why did Lincoln turn down the governorship of the Oregon territory that was given by Zachary Taylor?

5. Was Lincoln's bill proposal about arresting fugitive slaves that escape into DC a portion of he fugitive slave laws?

6. After 1849, when Lincoln headed back to Springfield to practice law, what law firm was he at?

7. Where can I find Lincoln's steamboat patent?

Even if you can only answer one it would be much appreciated!!! Thanks and have fun!

-Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2013, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 12:10 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Some Questions about Lincoln!!!
(06-20-2013 10:33 AM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  4. Why did Lincoln turn down the governorship of the Oregon territory that was given by Zachary Taylor?

Oregon was far away and a Democratic stronghold. It would have ended his political career and his efforts with his law firm. I think it was not so easy to deny the offer without giving the impression of being ungrateful. Lincoln instead would have liked to become Commissioner of the General Land Office, but Justin Butterfield got that position.

(06-20-2013 10:33 AM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  1. What was the name of the law firm that Lincoln worked at that was run by John Todd Stuart in Springfield following Lincoln's stint as a state legislator?
AFAIK "Stuart & Lincoln" (1837 - 1841)

(06-20-2013 10:33 AM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  6. After 1849, when Lincoln headed back to Springfield to practice law, what law firm was he at?
"Lincoln & Herndon" (since 1844, but until March 1845 the professional notice of "Logan & Lincoln" still ran in the Sangamo Journal)
06-20-2013, 12:05 PM
What does AFAIK stand for?
06-20-2013, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 12:26 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
I've never read anything else but that in the books I have. As to the steamboat patent: I don't know if that helps a bit:
http://www.pddoc.com/skedaddle/articles/...patent.htm

I just double-checked it, some also add "law office".
06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
(06-20-2013 10:33 AM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  Hey everyone,

I am finishing up some more research on Abraham Lincoln and I need some help!!! Here are the questions that I need help with:

3. Why did the Illinois people dislike Lincoln's opposition to the Mexican American War?

It is usually politically unpopular to criticize a war that you are winning or have won. The death of popular leaders like Jim Bowie, William Travis and Davy Crockett didn't help matters.

IMO, this was probably more of a political anti President Polk position since he was a democrat. I think Lincoln may have also been trying to better his position within the Whig party.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-20-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 01:03 PM by Rob Wick.)
Matt,

Here is the patent.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ajRFAAA...&q&f=false

The election of 1846 was for the United States House of Representatives, not the governor's chair. Cartwright brought up Lincoln's religion because of accusations of him being an infidel, which would have hurt him with many voters.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
06-20-2013, 02:48 PM
(06-20-2013 12:05 PM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  What does AFAIK stand for?
As Far As I Know.
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 08:42 PM by LincolnMan.)
I read that Lincoln opposed the Mexican War because he felt it was provoked by the USA to grab land.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
(06-20-2013 10:33 AM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  Hey everyone,
-Matt
Illinois during the Democrat-Whig period of party rivalry was a pretty reliable Democratic stronghold. The Democrats were generally committed to territorial expansion. The Democratic presidential convention of 1844 called for the acquisition of Texas and Oregon. The realization that the obvious Democratic candidate for the presidency, Martin Van Buren, opposed Texas annexation ,caused a revolt at the convention which led to the nomination and election of the ardent expansionist James K. Polk.

While the actual annexation of Texas was subsequently done by the lame duck administration of Pres. John Tyler, Polk came into office eager to defend Texas' claims to its disputed boundaries with Mexico and to acquire what became the Mexican cession by purchase or if need be by force.

This resulted in the Mexican War.

Polk also pursued what was known as the "Oregon Country." This consisted of mostly the present states of Oregon,Washington and British Columbia. Oregon was governed by what was called a "joint occupation" by the US and Great Britain. Both nations had previously deferred the question of ownership of the area until significant numbers of white settlers showed up. They started to do so in the 1840's and Polk and the British government split the Oregon Country by giving what is now the states of Oregon and Washington to the United States while Britain retained British Columbia which eventually became part of Canada.

There was a significant reaction by Western Democrats toward Polk for his refusal to press the British over British Columbia. They felt betrayed that the US had not obtained all of the Oregon country. It is interesting that Polk believed he could successfully wage war against Mexico but not Britain.

While the Mexican cession led to the great quarrel over the status of slavery in the conquered lands, the vast majority of Northern Democrats in the 1840's supported territorial expansion although many might quarrel with their southern brethren over slavery.

Eventually southern efforts to expand slavery in the 1850's to areas belonging to the US and to foreign countries fatally compromised the popular idea of expansionism by associating it with the extension of slavery.

This development occurred much too late to help Congressman Lincoln in 1848 who opposed the majority sentiment of his region.
Tom
06-21-2013, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2013 06:23 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(06-20-2013 10:33 AM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  4. Why did Lincoln turn down the governorship of the Oregon territory that was given by Zachary Taylor?
-Matt

Matt,
I reread this issue since I remembered there was something else about it.
Lincoln was tempted first (the salary was $ 3,000 a year) and even discussed it with J.T.Stuart (who thought it was good), but then decided to accept if Mary would have consented to go. She didn’t. One reason was their son Eddie’s poor health. Nevertheless, Lincoln also knew a Whig would hardy have been chosen for Congress if Oregon had been admitted to the Union. When he declined the offer he put the blame on Mary who “put her foot down about moving”. According to Noah Brooks, Mary reminded him during his presidency that she had kept him from “throwing himself away” by accepting the governorship of Oregon. (But she had supported his former attempt to become Commissioner of the Land Office by writing letters seeking endorsement.)