Mary and horses
06-13-2013, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 03:14 PM by Donna McCreary.)
Mary and horses
On August 6, 1863, Mary, who had just recovered from a carraige accident, travled to new Hampshire with sons Robert and Tad. She was traveling with a group of 130 tourists, all traveling to enjoy the cooler temperatures and natural sights of the area.
A newspaper article reports that she wore a dark checked riding habit as she prepared for a riding trip.

Laurie, in her early years, Mary loved horses and was an excellent rider. Once, she wanted a new pony – a particular pony – the white dancing pony which belonged to a group of “strolling players” who had been stranded in Lexington. Robert Smith Todd purchased it for his daughter.
The story continued that when Mr. Todd was away on business in Frankfort, his wife Betsy was not feeling well. Mammy had given Mary permission to ride the pony for a little while in front of the house – but Mary took off down the dusty road to Ashland, the home of Henry Clay. Upon arrival, she knocked on the door and requested an immediate audience with Mr. Clay. Her father had frequently said that Mr. Clay was the best judge of horse flesh in Kentucky, and Mary sought his opinion.
When Mr. Clay came out onto the driveway, Mary, who was still sitting on her pony, said, “Look Mr. Clay – my new pony. Father bought him from those strolling players that were stranded her last week. He can dance – Look!” She touched the pony with a whip, and the pony reared up gracefully on his hind legs to dance.

At least this particular pony knew who was in control.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2013, 02:13 PM
RE: Mary and horses
Hopefully not a copyright violation here, but I made a scan of what Donna is talking about in her post above. This is Mary on her white pony at Henry Clay's home. I have a children's biography of Mary entitled Mary Todd Lincoln: President's Wife by LaVere Anderson. The drawing is on p. 18. The book's illustrator is Cary. That's all it says. So full credit to Cary for this drawing.

[Image: maryhorse.jpg]
06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Donna,

Isn't that account part of the Mary Lincoln Enigma book - which I loved!?
06-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks Donna for making a separate thread of this subject. Obviously, horses were very important in that era-and its interesting to know how individuals related to their animals. Mary was an expert, it sounds like. I always get a chuckle when I visualize Lincoln on a mount that is too small for his height-legs hanging down and all. But, apparently, Lincoln was no novice when it came to horses, either. Fascinating stuff.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2013, 08:01 PM
I wonder with Mary's formal education- if she ever took riding lessons- perhaps the English Riding Style?

Bill Nash
08-31-2013, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 08:36 AM by BettyO.)
Young ladies - especially wealthy young women, usually had riding lessons from an early age. It was an important part of their upbringing. Middle class (as well as lower class) country-bred women also usually knew how to ride from an early age. This was an important part of being able to "get around" out in the country if one didn't walk.

English style riding was the ONLY style of riding in the Victorian era on the East coast and primarily all over the US - be it North or South. One only has to take a look at the saddle Lew Powell used which is on exhibit at the Education Center across from Ford's Theatre. It too, is a variation on the English style saddle. It has a high pommel (front of the saddle) and cantle (back of the saddle seat) but it is still English style in variation.

One of the reasons I cringe when movies show JWB, Herold or Powell in a "western style saddle!" And yes, I've seen that....

Of course, Union military rode with McClellan Saddles - no horn but with the "split seat." I learned to ride in my great grandfather's old McClellan Saddle. He had been one of Teddy Roosevelt's "Rough Riders." And I will say that saddle was one of the "roughest rides" you can ever take! It will cut you raw!! One only has to look at the saddle's split seat to know why!

The Western style was popular out west and utilized for handling stock and stock only, hence the Mexican western saddle with the "roping horn." Western gentlemen/Cowboys used the western saddle exclusively and at all times for the most part. Ladies rode sidesaddle out there as well.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Betty, I'm glad I asked the question because your answer was so informative. Thanks for being so complete in the response!

Bill Nash
08-31-2013, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 09:42 AM by BettyO.)
No problem, Bill! I'm an old equestrienne from waaayyy back! My dad first put me on a horse when I was two years old and yes, I strongly remember that occasion because I grew up being as a lot of young girls, "horse crazy!" I got my first horse when I was 8 years old and have ridden most of my life. I used to jump alot and always wanted to fox hunt. I attend hunt meets as a spectator each Fall season, but have never ridden in one. Looks like a LOT of fun! I have a friend who is 72 years old and hunts daily during the season. "Angie" is a seasoned equestrienne and has taken many more spills than I have! Haven't ridden now for at least several years but would love to ride again! My sister still had horses (mine are all dead) but even she doesn't ride as much as she did....we're getting older and when you take a fall at our age - well, it's kinda hard to get up again! HA!

And yes, I used to do Civil War reenacting when I was young and yes, I've ridden sidesaddle. I don't like it at all and prefer to ride, like Dr. Mary Walker, "cross saddle like a man!"

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-31-2013, 11:26 AM
There was a McClellan saddle in our attic when I was a child. My mother had ridden with it when she was much younger and would agree with you that it was very uncomfortable. What was the reasoning behind the design?
08-31-2013, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 12:22 PM by BettyO.)
I found this on Wiki -- but NO reason is given for the "Split Tree Seat!"

Wild Bill? Anyone know the reason? Thanks!

In April 1855, six years before the start of the Civil War, Captain George B. McClellan sailed to Europe as part of a military commission to study developments in European tactics, weaponry, and logistics. McClellan's focus was the organization of engineer troops and cavalry. After the one-year tour, during which time McClellan observed several battles of the Crimean War, McClellan brought back almost 100 books and manuals. These he read before writing his report, which concluded with his proposed manual for American cavalry adapted from existing Russian cavalry regulations. He also proposed a cavalry saddle that he claimed was a modification of a Hungarian model used in the Prussian service. The saddle was almost certainly a modification of the Spanish tree saddle in common use in Mexico during this period, and which had become common in some parts of the US.
The McClellan saddle was adopted by the US War Department in 1859 and remained standard issue, in various models, for the remaining history of the horse cavalry. The original M1859 version was the form used during the Civil War, and the design saw subsequent modifications. The saddle always remained recognizable as McClellan's design, which included cavalry and artillery models. In addition, a model for packers was introduced as the M1913.
The design was based on the Spanish tree saddles in wide use in the United States at the time, and which had seen US Army use, although McClellan claimed that it was based on Hussar saddles he'd observed in use in the Crimean War. While McClellan did go overseas and observe the Crimean War for the US, the saddle does not closely duplicate any pattern in use by the armies in that conflict, but is very close to the widely used Spanish tree saddle, which was originally a saddle in common use in Mexico. The design underwent modifications over time, although in many ways it remained remarkably unchanged. The saddle was simple and less expensive than existing saddles, light enough not to burden the horse, but sturdy enough to give good support to the rider and his gear. It supported a rawhide-covered open seat, a thick leather skirt, wooden stirrups, and a girth strap of woolen yarn. Added accessories to the saddle sometimes included a nose bag for horse feed, a curry comb to groom the horse, a picket pin and lariat to tether the horse while grazing, saddlebags, and a "thimble" that held the muzzle of the cavalryman's carbine. The McClellan saddle was placed on top of a saddlecloth, shabrack, or saddle blanket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClellan_saddle

[Image: 5and.jpg]

08-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Maybe they called it a McClellan saddle because it was a pain in the @$$ ?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-31-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 01:06 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thanks for the info and the pictures, Betty. I've never before seen a saddle with a slot and was curious what the function was. This is what I found out:

"The original MnClellan was designed for the Thoroughbred type of horse. A horse with fairly high and narrow withers. Also, the reason for the full length slot in the center was because under battle conditions horses would lose quite a lot of weight and this prevented the saddle from making contact with the protruding backbone. It is also for this reason that "slot" goes up so far under at bottom of the cantle, much higher than any of the western type stock saddles"

http://truewest.ning.com/m/discussion?id...c%3A106525
08-31-2013, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 01:51 PM by BettyO.)
Wow! Thanks, Eva!

That makes PERFECT sense for the "Split Seat"...may be more comfortable for the horse - but it's extremely tiring and uncomfortable for the rider!!

09-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Betty and Eva, thank you so much for the information. I enjoyed learning more about this topic.
10-29-2013, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2013 09:10 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Could a native speaker please comment on the following:

On Nov.12, 1875, Elizabeth T. Edwards wrote in a letter to Robert:"...She (Mary) is usually cheerful and enjoys everything, which interests us, as riding, visiting etc."

I'm not sure if "riding" in this case refers to horseriding or to riding in a carriage. (In German there are two different words - "reiten" - a horse and "ausfahren" - in a carriage.) Is it possible that Mary still rode on horseback at that age or does it most likely refer to a carriage ride?