Rathbone Uncovered
06-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Rathbone Uncovered
Eva Elisabeth Lennartz discoverd that Clara and Henry's remains were not disposed of but buried deeper in the lot so it could be "rented" again, as is the policy of the German Government. They are buried together in lot 30D16. Here are a few pics of the cemetery and the plot which has a new marker on it for the "newer" occupants. The writing means “Only he is dead who is forgotten” (“Tod ist nur der vergessen wird”). Thanks Eva!
[Image: rathbone1.jpg]
[Image: rathbone7.jpg]
[Image: rathbone8.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
RE: Rathbone Uncovered
Very cool, Rich! Thank you to Eva for tracking this all down. Like, Rich, I see newfound graves as a major finds, too.

While I'm sure the translation is good, Rich, I'm going to read it as, "Only he who is forgotten is dead". This has more agreeable syntax to me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 05:30 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(06-05-2013 04:55 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Very cool, Rich! Thank you to Eva for tracking this all down. Like, Rich, I see newfound graves as a major finds, too.

While I'm sure the translation is good, Rich, I'm going to read it as, "Only he who is forgotten is dead". This has more agreeable syntax to me.

It's my fault, I tried to translate close to the old language. The German syntax is wrong as well and should correctly be: "Tod ist nur der, der vergessen (worden) ist". BTW, it's up to the cemetery admin.s what to do with the remains.
06-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Wonderful work, Eva, truly.

Just to verify, is this Rensen family marker on the same plot as where Henry and Clara are, or is it just nearby? It seems like the cemetery is quite spread out and sparsely marked. I just want to make sure the Rathbones are actually buried in this specific plot, or is this just the only marker around near where they are buried.
06-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Eva -

This is wonderful - a fantastic "find!" Congratulations and thanks for the beautiful photos....

We are blessed to have you with us! Shy

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-05-2013, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 06:23 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(06-05-2013 05:23 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Wonderful work, Eva, truly.

Just to verify, is this Rensen family marker on the same plot as where Henry and Clara are, or is it just nearby? It seems like the cemetery is quite spread out and sparsely marked. I just want to make sure the Rathbones are actually buried in this specific plot, or is this just the only marker around near where they are buried.

I guarantee, each plot is precisely marked with a little metal identificaton plate. I really forgot to photograph it, too, it was very late, my last "stop" after a long day. The plot numbers were never "moved". This is what the admin. says and there was a map in the internment register showing the plots exactly in the same place as they are nowadays. If a former single gravesite had been splitted, the number has been extended by a,b... In the same section (30) two local celebreties who died about the turn of the century were buried and still are at the same place.
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Great. Thank you, Eva, for verifying that.

Forgive me if you've already stated this elsewhere, but I was wondering where you live? Was it a long drive to get to this cemetery?

It's certainly nice having an international voice on the symposium!
06-05-2013, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 08:47 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
I live in Kiel, very beautiful at the Baltic Sea. It's ~ 125 miles to Hannover.
06-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Incredible.....thanks again Eva!!
06-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Eva, Thank you so much for going the extra effort to correct history. What a great find!
06-05-2013, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 11:54 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
I just spotted the metal plate is in the pictures, this green thing with the red top on the right side of the stone.

Jim, it was most exciting. Never before had I paged through such old registers and files and so many human destinies. "So long as men can live and eyes can see, so long lives this, and this gives live to thee", isn't it?
It was so fascinating to experience Clara and Henry really had lived.
06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
congratulations, Eva, on a job well done! This is an historic discovery.
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Isn't it a bit sad that Major Rathbone- the man who tried to stop the President's killer from escaping- lies in a grave with no recognition?

Bill Nash
06-06-2013, 06:49 AM
(06-05-2013 09:20 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I just spotted the metal plate is in the pictures, this green thing with the red top on the right side of the stone.

Jim, it was most exciting. Never before had I paged through such old registers and files and so many human destinies. "So long as men can live and eyes can see, so long lives this, and this gives live to thee", isn't it?

It can be a humbling and sometimes exciting experience going through the old records. The first time I went through a cemetery's books was searching for my grt grt grandfather, a Confederate veteran buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. I love the old records and recognizing names that are still priminant in an area. Oak Hill in Georgetown was kind enough to let me go through their original records looking for additional information on Edwin Stanton, and the Thos. Carroll tomb (where Willie Lincoln rested).

Today, I am meeting Reignette Chilton to go to Mt. Olivet for Alphonse Donn. He lies in an unmarked grave. Last time I went to Mt. Olivet, they couldn't find him on their database. I had limited time and several people I was looking for. Today, we can be more focused.
06-06-2013, 07:16 AM
I wonder if any of Rathbone's descendants (if there are any still alive) knew the truth about the burial situation before Eva found this??