Charles Guiteau Pistol
05-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Charles Guiteau Pistol
With the upcoming announcement by John and Barry it is important to realize that there are still many historical relics to be discovered. Some have been taken, given away, lost or misplaced. One such item is the pistol that Charles Guiteau used to assassinate President James Garfield. The ivory handled bull dog pistol was recovered and on display at the Smithsonian during the early part of the 20th century. It has since disappeared.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
RE: Charles Guiteau Pistol
As is the coverlet under which Lincoln died. It vanished in 1909, after being displayed for the anniversary of his birth. What bothers me about these things is that they may be in the hands of someone who has no idea of their historical significance.
About 30 years ago, a co-worker went to the home of an elderly woman who showed him a horse blanket with blood on it. She stated a relative was part of the recovery/burial detail at the scene of the Battle of The Little Big Horn where Custer and his men perished. She said the blanket was Custer's. When she died about 20 years ago, most of the contents of her home were heaved into a dumpster.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Amazing and sad.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2013, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 08:34 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
And thrilling...like the discovery of King Richard III's remains (he was killed in the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485) under a parking lot in Leichester in August 2012.
(In the "Santa Anna" discussion the question came up whether King Richard III had a small kingdom. At least it was large enough that it took 527 years to find him.)
05-30-2013, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 11:10 AM by Rsmyth.)
Eva, didn't he have a relative in the U.S. that supplied a DNA sample to confirm the discovery?

Quite correct Joe. I bet Boston Corbett's pistol descended into the hands of someone who thought they had a used army pistol or a nice antique.
05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
(05-30-2013 11:08 AM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Eva, didn't he have a relative in the U.S. that supplied a DNA sample to confirm the discovery?

Quite correct Joe. I bet Boston Corbett's pistol descended into the hands of someone who thought they had a used army pistol or a nice antique.

AFAIK, one descendant of Richard's sister Anne of York whose DNA proved was a Canadian. But there was a second person.
05-31-2013, 10:52 AM
And speaking of pistols, what was the caliber of the weapon used to shoot Theodore Roosevelt? And is that weapon housed somewhere?

Bill Nash
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
It was a .38 but I'm not sure where it's at, if it even still exists.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
05-31-2013, 03:48 PM
You're correct Rob, it was a .38. One would think the weapon would be somewhere.

Bill Nash
05-31-2013, 04:08 PM
I believe the bullet damaged speech is on display at his home on Long Island.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
06-01-2013, 09:55 AM
The bullet actually lodged into TR's chest. He gave his scheduled speech anyway. He died with the bullet still in him. What other President went to his grave with a bullet in his body?

Bill Nash
06-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Andrew Jackson
06-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Bill, you are 100 percent correct. Tough dudes those two: Jackson & T.R.!

Bill Nash
06-06-2013, 02:26 PM
(05-30-2013 11:08 AM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Eva, didn't he have a relative in the U.S. that supplied a DNA sample to confirm the discovery?

I believe the revolver Corbett shot Booth with was later stolen from him. He had refused at least one offer to buy it. I don't know if the s/n is known. It must have been recorded upon initial issue to him. If that s/n is known, there's a slim chance it may identified at some point if it still exists. Right now, it may exist as some ordinary .44 Colt Army on some ones shelf. I don't know if anyone has ever done the research on it to try and track it down. That would be some find.

Tony
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
First, Tony, it's nice to see you posting again!

Second, I think Wes Harris would go to his grave a very happy man if he or anyone could find and verify Corbett's original revolver. Wes has done more research on all of the assassination-related weapons than any person I know. Now, if he could just publish.....(hint).