Surratt House website
05-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Surratt House website
Anybody else having trouble getting on the Surratt House website? I can't bring it up! Is there a problem with it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2013, 04:49 AM
RE: Surratt House website
Same here, Christine. I am trying it at 4:48 A.M. EDT, and it is down. I also tried individual pages within the site, not just the home page, and they are down, too. I believe the whole site is down. This has happened a few times with my own Lincoln website over the years, and it usually means there is a problem with the server. So I am guessing it's a problem with the host company (although there are other possibilities, too).
05-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Same here -- could not access it either on my iPhone or PC....

Seems the entire site is down, although Laurie told me awhile back that the site was due for a "Makeover".....perhaps they are working on it from a design viewpoint -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-20-2013, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 09:23 AM by Christine.)
Thanks. I thought it was just me. My family gave me a kindle for Mother's day and I was just trying to show off for my husband and show him my paper on the kindle and it didn't work! Oh well, so much for my pride. hope it gets back up soon. Smile
05-20-2013, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 02:31 PM by L Verge.)
For the sake of my sanity, I hope it gets back up soon, also! Nine months ago, our webmistress resigned. We had been planning a complete makeover for some time, and this time a Life Member of the Surratt Society offered to create a new, updated site (the old one has been around since 1998) for us free of charge as a thank you for our help when he was writing his doctoral thesis. I assigned two staff members who know computers very well to work with him. Unfortunately, they have other assignments also and have dragged their feet on this one - despite my repeated reminders.

I am not their supervisor, but the person who is has been told to get the project going asap. The current problem seems to be that someone says our domain name has expired because we did not pay to renew it. We have paid, but the page keeps popping up and then popping down. I could have had a baby faster than creating this new website! It's not nice to get on Mama Verge's nerves...
05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
It's stlll down- I just tried.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Laurie, if you get nostalgic go here.
05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
I have designed websites before so if you ever need help "MAMA" Verge! I am saving up for the lifetime membership as well! School payments suck!!!
05-24-2013, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 12:41 PM by BettyO.)
I can identify with College Loans, Matt!

Trust me..... not good - especially when you don't have a good job! Angry

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Matt. Right now, the design part isn't the problem; it's getting my staff to clean up some text and move the material over. Hopefully, my lecture this week will do the trick.

As for student loans, I have a friend who just turned 50 and is still paying off her college loans after about 25 years in the work force. Some people get their college education for free, while the rest of us have to work, and work, and work, and work for it.
05-24-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't have more than $20,000 due to scholarships and a great summer job!!! By the way I was going to tell you, so I work as a travel consultant at AAA here in Lincoln (The Good Life) and I have had people come in about what to do in D.C and I always mention the Surratt Museum and the bus route tour!!! Hopefully I snagged a few!!!! By the way haven't seen Dave on here in a while, is he alive?
05-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Keep those tourists coming, Matt.
05-31-2013, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2013 01:45 AM by scldrgnfly.)
I was able to get to the old site by going through this page. It's an Education Outreach page. When you link to it go to the bottom and hit "Homepage" and it will take you to the old pages:

http://207.57.87.108/education/museum-outreach.html

Just saw Roger's post! I can see why you are such a good web master!

Thanks for making it so much easier!