Stonewall Jackson's Death
05-10-2013, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 07:21 AM by Gene C.)
Stonewall Jackson's Death
News article: Stonewall Jackson death likely pneumonia

http://news.yahoo.com/surgeon-stonewall-...01272.html

It only took 150 years to find out, but the report confirms the original diagnosis. Maybe the new gov't healthcare program can sped that up a little.

And just a week ago they blamed it partially on a full moon.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/sto...index.html
*see thread "Full Moon Get's Partial Blame for Gen Jackson's Death

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2013, 07:20 AM
RE: Stonewall Jackson's Death
Did they ever figure out why Zachary Taylor died?
05-10-2013, 07:53 AM
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/124351-1 Here's a good video with the Dr. who did the examination. I thought I saw a picture of Taylor when they did this, but from what the Dr. said, I'm mistaken.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Many thanks, Joe. During my teaching career I taught that Taylor died from a bad reaction to eating too many cherries. However, I guess the actual cause of death cannot really be known.
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 09:32 AM by Gene C.)
That was interesting. Although it was covered with a flag, his coffin looked smaller than what we usually see today.

05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Since I do not wish to honor John Wilkes Booth by wishing him a happy birthday, I will just ask how many of you remembered that today marks his 175th birthday -- as well as the anniversary of Jackson's death?
05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
They don't make any Pink Parkers anymore, do they?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Pink Parker would be deemed politically incorrect today, I suspect.
05-10-2013, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 12:05 PM by Gene C.)
Is this what youse guys ( "you all") are talking about ?

http://boothiebarn.com/2012/10/02/the-st...-memorial/

05-10-2013, 11:22 PM
(05-10-2013 11:58 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Pink Parker would be deemed politically incorrect today, I suspect.

(05-10-2013 12:04 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Is this what youse guys ( "you all") are talking about ?

http://boothiebarn.com/2012/10/02/the-st...-memorial/

That's it, Gene. To me Pink Parker personifies the division this country experienced at that time of the Civil War. Regardless of what you think of him or his memorial or his leanings, his conviction in following his strongly held beliefs is, to me, a great example of the American spirit.

05-17-2013, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 06:52 AM by Jim Garrett.)
Jackson was wearing a black oilcloth raincoat. The coat is at the museum at VMI. They also have Little Sorrel, the general's horse. The VMI museum is an excellent repository of military, Civil War and VMI history. It is one of the oldest museums in Virginia and has two facilities, Lexington and New Market. It is under the management of Col. Keith Gibson, a great historian and administrator.

The traditional cause of death for "Old Rough N Ready" has been food poisoning or Cholera. Taylor had attended the groundbreaking ceremony for the Washington Monument on July 4, 1850. It was a blisteringly hot day (usual for a July day in Washington), and an exhausted Taylor returned to the White House. He may have been suffering from heat stroke as well. He had a bowl of fruit (some accounts say cherries) with iced milk. He fell gravely ill and died on the 9th.

Taylor was completely apolitical, having never voted in an election, including his own, and not belonging to any political party until drafted by the Whigs.
05-17-2013, 09:12 AM
And if you visit VMI, make sure to include a stop at Stonewall Jackson's home in Lexington, Virginia.
05-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Are there descendants of Jackson living today?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-17-2013, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 06:29 PM by L Verge.)
I never remember reading any reference to Thomas and Mary Anna (his second wife) having any children. Who are our Stonewall experts here?

I decided to answer my own comments. Jackson's only child by his first wife died during childbirth. He also lost the first child with Mary Anna, but the second survived - a daughter named Julia. Both Mary Anna and Julia were present at his death according to biography.com
05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
So are there any surviving relatives from his daughter Julia, I wonder?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user