Thomas Jones
05-08-2013, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 07:53 AM by BettyO.)
Thomas Jones
Anyone ever seen this Photo of Thomas Jones, circa 1915? I never have.....interesting -- he looks like a Cockney Cabby complete with driving whip!

[Image: thomasjonesin1915.jpg]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: Thomas Jones
Hey Betty, never seen that one. Where did it come from? It looks like a slightly puffier person than the lean looking image we are all familiar with. Looks like the same face, only with more jowels.
05-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Washington Herald, April 22,1915

Was doing research yesterday and came across this - here 'tis!

[Image: washingtonherald042215.jpg]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Wow, that is great. He does look like an English hack driver!
05-08-2013, 08:09 AM
This photo was probably taken before he died in 1895 and then published in the 1915 paper.....I really don't know -

05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Interesting! Which Thomas Jones is he? Didn't Thomas A. Jones die....not long after he published his memoirs in 1893, I think? Like somebody else?? Hmmmmmm?? You know there are a few things I am working on that I think Thomas A. Jones danced around in his memoirs, because, possibly, some of the people involved were still alive.

Interestingly, John Minchin, had just died in 1892, while he was supervising a bricklaying job. Something wasn't quite right and he went up on the scaffolding to check and a board gave way. He fell and the boards and a pile of bricks fell on top of him. He lived about a week after and then succumbed to his injuries.
05-08-2013, 08:18 AM
I seriously doubt that is Thomas Jones.

Here's a picture of Thomas Jones circa 1890:
[Image: 20121121-124751.jpg?w=690]

I cannot picture Jones growing his hair long and getting that plump in his declining years.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2013, 08:19 AM
According to the Steer' s Lincoln Assassination Encyclopedia, Jones was born in 1820 and died in 1895.

Did the gov't photograph Jones when he was arrested during the civil war or following the assassination?

l would lean towards the writer of the article has a photo of the wrong guy.
(surely reporters/editors wouldn't do such a thing - he said sarcasticaly)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-08-2013, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 08:52 AM by scldrgnfly.)
The article didn't appear right away on my phone. Oops! I guess I am wrong about Thomas A. Jones' death??? BUT to tell the truth, the picture there doesn't really look like the picture in Thomas A. Jones' memoirs does it? The picture in the memoirs, to me, looks like he was always a rather thin individual.

Cool article!

LOL, Betty!!! I love this!! The past really DOES look like,a different country!!! That is a GREAT find, Betty!!

And this discussion is GREAT, too!

Does anybody wonder about the fact that they kept Booth and Herold lingering in the "pine thicket" about a week and the x-Mosby/ Confederate dudes just happened to be about on the other side?? We already know how much "The Oath of Allegiance" meant to them. Meaning, Mosby's crew was always "skedadaling (sp.?)" weren't they?

Did they just not want Booth to be caught in Maryland? And to tell you truth, how smart would it really have been to have taken Lincoln towards Richmond with all of the Union troops and Generals on that side of the Potomac? Regardless of the fact of Richmond's "imminent" fall...which of course had become a fete a' complet, by the time JWB's crew had made their move.

Ha! Ha! They must not have had the Internet or the Surratt Society, ...or the RJ Norton Lincoln Symposium on their trail!!
05-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry, but there is no way in God's little green acres that the photo is of "our" Thomas A. Jones.
05-08-2013, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 09:29 AM by BettyO.)
Just as I thought....some London Cabby! Rolleyes

05-08-2013, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 10:17 AM by Gene C.)
Betty, how did you come across the article? Can you share what you were researching?
It looks like this was one of a series of articles. Are there any more that we might find interesting?

Slightly off topic, but according to Wikipedia by the summer of 64 Mosby had about 400 men he could call on. Surely the numbers had dropped by 1865.

With Lee surrendering, Lincoln being assassinated and not kidnapped, and Mosby's battalion disbanding on April 21, was there really much in the way of "organized and planned" assistance for Booth to help him escape to......Mexico????, other than what he got?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-08-2013, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 10:14 AM by BettyO.)
This old article was published as a series in 1915 in the Washington Herald - April thru May. I downloaded the entire series and will have Roger post the PDF of it here -

I'm conducting my research for Character Assassination -

05-08-2013, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 10:41 AM by scldrgnfly.)
Staying a bit off topic, I thought that one of the possible kidnap plans from the same time period as the Booth one and possibly coordinated with it was the use of Mosby and his men on the other side of Washington, DC....between maybe the late summer and fall of 1864 to the spring of 1865...Was that in Conrad's memoirs? And while they said Mosby had recently disbanded, essentially wasn't that his modus opperandi?

While the War was essentially over with Lee's surrender, there was still action being carried out in some places, wasn't there? Wouldn't Lincoln's assassination been considered a bit of a game changer? At least, if they didn't want devastating reparations for the South, wouldn't they want to try to clean up the mess and have some control over the fallout?

I'll put this next tidbit under John Minchin Lloyd, to keep this one on task..just an interesting "connection...?"

...but it may have to do with damage control...as with a few other participants...in the Military Tribunal....
05-08-2013, 10:50 AM
(05-08-2013 10:14 AM)BettyO Wrote:  This old article was published as a series in 1915 in the Washington Herald - April thru May. I downloaded the entire series and will have Roger post the PDF of it here -

I'm conducting my research for Character Assassination -

Here is the file from Betty. It's a large file and may take a short period to load on your computer.