Lincoln's embalmment
05-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Lincoln's embalmment
Could anyone probably tell anything about the following:
The embalmment method used to preserve Lincoln's body, what "has happened" to it? Has it often been used afterwards (or is it still used nowadays - exept probably for scientific purposes)? And - as it was a new one - who decided for it? Robert? Was there any controversy over the matter (e.g. by religious groups)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 02:02 PM by J. Beckert.)
RE: Lincoln's embalmment
I remember reading the blood was drained through his neck and the embalming fluid was pumped into him through a vein in his leg by Dr. Brown. I don't think that's much different than how it's done today. Embalming was relatively new at the time, I believe and I don't remember the family having any input. I think it was a matter that had to be done with the many funerals and public displays that were being planned. Stanton actually supervised the clothing of his body with a suit Mrs. Lincoln provided. It's the same suit he was photographed in delivering his second inaugural speech.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-05-2013, 03:54 PM
One of the erriest aspects of Lincoln's embalming to me has always been that it was performed in the room where the current first families eat their meals (the former Prince of Wales room is now the family dining room!)

Willie Lincoln also died in this same room.

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor2/p...g-room.htm
05-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Years ago relatives of Dr. Brown sent me a newspaper ad that informed the public of his embalmment method. Dr. Steers' encyclopedia says that it was Henry P. Cattell, an associate of Dr. Brown's, who was the actual embalmer of President Lincoln. For many, many years I had thought it was Dr. Brown who did the embalming.

[Image: CDB_color.jpg]
05-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Was it Cattell who also accompanied the funeral train to "spruce up" the body before important stops? I also thought that I read somewhere that Mrs. Lincoln had been impressed by the work of Brown with either the body of Col. Ellsworth or with Willie and requested the same firm do the work. Did I dream that?
05-05-2013, 09:08 PM
OK students, Take out your copy of "The Lincoln Assassination, Where Are They Now?" and turn to page 13. Henry Cattell was the embalmer of both Willie and Abraham Lincoln. He was the step-son of Dr. Charles Brown, the Brown of Brown & Alexander. He used a solution that included Zinc Cloride which gave a marble like quality to the skin, in color and texture. Cattell was further contracted to accompany the funeral train and provide touch ups along the way.

Might I suggest if one has already done the Booth Escape Route Tour, consider visiting the Surratt Tavern on Friday, June 14th, then proceed to the Congressional Cemetery to visit the graves of Henry Cattell, Joseph Alexander and many many others associated with the Lincoln Assassination. The Congressional Cemetery has been kind enough to host a book signing & reception in the public vault for Rich Smyth and myself.
05-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Thanks, Jim. I think it was Twenty Days that misled many of us into thinking Brown was the embalmer. I do not think Cattell is even mentioned in Twenty Days. Kudos on your book signing.
05-06-2013, 06:38 AM
I associate public vaults with Booth and Atzerodt. Do people need to bring lanterns?
05-06-2013, 07:09 AM
I believe I asked this question on the old Form site, but am not sure: Was anything from Lincoln's body saved? Is there a jar stored on a shelf somewhere in a dusty warehouse (long lost and forgotten) containing Lincoln's brain?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2013, 07:42 AM
At least plenty of Lincoln's hair should have survived somewhere...I'd like to add another question (I'm afraid, Jim, I can't check your book, it's almost impossible to get those here which are not sold on Amazon): Were Mary's and Tad's bodies treated the same way? (By the way, when I first read about that 20 feet of concrete on the grave I was a bit shocked and thought I got that wrong somehow. I instantly thought about how it would feel like lying therein alive).
05-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Rich's and Jim's book is available via mail order from Surratt House with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank or via phone with a U.S. backed Visa or MasterCard. E-mail me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com for further info. And, we do ship overseas -- in fact, we send about 15 newsletters each month to Europe and Australia.
05-06-2013, 01:27 PM
(05-06-2013 07:42 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  At least plenty of Lincoln's hair should have survived somewhere...I'd like to add another question (I'm afraid, Jim, I can't check your book, it's almost impossible to get those here which are not sold on Amazon): Were Mary's and Tad's bodies treated the same way? (By the way, when I first read about that 20 feet of concrete on the grave I was a bit shocked and thought I got that wrong somehow. I instantly thought about how it would feel like lying therein alive).

And from what I understand, being buried alive was a real concern back then.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2013, 06:20 PM
(05-06-2013 07:09 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I believe I asked this question on the old Form site, but am not sure: Was anything from Lincoln's body saved? Is there a jar stored on a shelf somewhere in a dusty warehouse (long lost and forgotten) containing Lincoln's brain?

According to the sage of the Smithsonian, Herb Collins, Curator emeritus, Lincoln's blood was saved. He swears to it.
05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I believe that small pieces of Lincoln's skull are displayed with the bullet at the National Museum of Health and Medicine (or whatever the old Medical Museum is now called).
05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Laurie, you are correct. Bits of bone from the autopsy are on display at The NMHM. I liked it better when we just called it the Medical Museum and it was down on the mall.