IMPORTANT - Beware of Mal/Stealthware
04-27-2013, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 09:37 AM by BettyO.)
IMPORTANT - Beware of Mal/Stealthware
Please be careful and let Roger or myself know -- if anyone downloaded that wonderful font of ALincoln - did you go to the little white and red box to the right to download or the Big Green Arrow.... If you clicked on the little red and white box, you are SAFE....the big green arrow is a different story.

I unfortunately, last night clicked on the big green arrow. There is malware/stealthware attached to that - plus a trojan virus. I should know better, but was preoccupied when I downloaded it and hit the green button - voila! Instant virus!

I was up til midnight cleaning my system and getting rid of it....

Just want folk to be careful of some sites offering "freebies." A lot of dirty stuff like "installers" are packed with them. One doesn't have to have an installer to install a lot of things. That's a dead giveaway usually that there is something tricky hidden in it. I have a minor in IT and like I said, I wasn't paying attention - I'm red faced now! Angry

Be careful out there on the "information highway" - some of the information is suspect -

Roger and I scanned the ALincoln font and you can get it safely here - NO installers included. Simply download the font from this SAFE link and save to the Font folder in Windows. This will NOT work on a MAC, unfortunately.

http://rogerjnorton.com/ALincolnFont.ttf

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2013, 11:18 AM
RE: IMPORTANT - Beware of Mal/Stealthware
Thanks Betty for the heads up. Glad u were able to deal with it successfully. I had a computer completely die on me a month ago-it was old-so I just went out and bought a new one. Unfortunately, it is preloaded with Windows 8-which I am not liking.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2013, 03:18 PM
That Lincoln font is really cool. Here's Bill's post above using the Lincoln font:

[Image: fontlincoln.jpg]

P.S. I second Bill's comment on Windows 8. Although I am using it as I write this I prefer XP or Windows 7.
04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
My house was broken into twice in one week back in January, and my laptop was one of the victims. In purchasing a new one, I put my daughter in charge. I specifically said that I did not want Windows 8 because several people, including Roger, had told me how bad it was. My daughter actually had to buy via phone to California in order to get one with Windows 7 -- struck up a friendship with the guy in California in the process...
04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
That Lincoln font really is awesome. I'm glad to hear others are not so pleased with Windows 8-thought might just be me.

Bill Nash
04-27-2013, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 04:31 PM by BettyO.)
It's NOT just you, Bill....

I helped a friend set up her new PC this past fall. She had specifically told Dell that she wanted Windows 7 and they agreed. It shipped with Windows 8. I'm pretty experienced with PCs and I must say that what should have only taken me 10-15 minutes to set up took me over 3 HOURS, inasmuch as her PC shipped with Windows 8 and I had to learn it "on the fly" i.e. while setting it up!

I DO NOT like Windows 8 myself. I've heard a lot of folk say that. What Microsoft has done is taken a tablet/touch screen interface OS and put in on a PC - NOT a happy marriage in my estimation.

Microsoft has already forced me to change from Hotmail to Outlook (email address stays the same however) which I hate. I've spoken to others who have said the same about Outlook.....Angry

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-27-2013, 05:29 PM
If you think you've accidentally downloaded some malware, how do you get rid of it??

It's not like I don't have Norton antivirus software, but I suppose it can't catch everything.

Check out my web sites:

http://www.petersonbird.com

http://www.elizabethjrosenthal.com
04-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Liz -

I also have Norton, which is very good, however I also use a free program - Lavasoft Ad-Aware. It works great on malware and it's free. You can get it from http://www.lavasoft.com We also use this where I work. We also use another program as well, Malware-Bytes. Both of these are free and are very good. It was the Ad-Aware that caught the trojan; malware that was on my machine, believe it or not - NOT the Norton!

04-27-2013, 06:58 PM
(04-27-2013 04:30 PM)BettyO Wrote:  It's NOT just you, Bill....

I helped a friend set up her new PC this past fall. She had specifically told Dell that she wanted Windows 7 and they agreed. It shipped with Windows 8. I'm pretty experienced with PCs and I must say that what should have only taken me 10-15 minutes to set up took me over 3 HOURS, inasmuch as her PC shipped with Windows 8 and I had to learn it "on the fly" i.e. while setting it up!

I DO NOT like Windows 8 myself. I've heard a lot of folk say that. What Microsoft has done is taken a tablet/touch screen interface OS and put in on a PC - NOT a happy marriage in my estimation.

Microsoft has already forced me to change from Hotmail to Outlook (email address stays the same however) which I hate. I've spoken to others who have said the same about Outlook.....Angry

Betty: that helps me to hear this. My son Nathan just told me that Windows 8 has just about killed the sales PC's.

Bill Nash
04-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I can believe it. Microsoft needs to LISTEN to it's customers -

04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
The changes they did on Outlook really stink, to put it mildly!
04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Am I the only Mac user in this dang place?!?!?!?

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
04-28-2013, 05:58 PM
You are a wizard in graphics, etc., and I don't know any such designer that will work with anything but a Mac. I also know most scientists much prefer the Mac. My daughter works on both in the teaching field, but prefers the Mac. This old dog is tired of learning new computer tricks, however. I've tried telling that to the IT department at work, but they ignore me...
04-29-2013, 01:16 AM
There's a PC on my desk at the office, along with the Mac, but it has cobwebs all over it! A Mac is just a more effective tool and it saves me time. My son, who really is a graphics wizard, refuses to use a Mac for some reason! I can't understand it.

I suspect he has his PCs souped up in some fashion. In all fairness, PCs have come a long way and I think many of the limitations one encounters on them in the workplace are set up by IT departments to make them consistent in a group situation.

Luckily, most IT departments ignore the Macs and I can install software that makes them romp and stomp. Also, the virus/malware situation on a Mac is virtually nonexistent.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
04-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Has anyone ever tried Linux? I downloaded it once and installed it, but it was sort of like what Laurie mentioned.....things were so different I had trouble learning it, so I quickly returned to Windows. I believe viruses for Linux are rare.