Last Requests
04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Last Requests
Did any of the 4 conspirators who were hanged have any last requests? Were they given a special meal of their choice or anything along those lines? Did they have wills or special requests after they were to be executed for family or friends?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: Last Requests
I think Mary said "don't let me fall" (but they did)
Powell wanted his bible sent to his parents.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-24-2013, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 07:17 AM by BettyO.)
Correct, Gene.

Powell requested that his Bible be sent to his parents and according to Dr. Gillette, Powell gave him "several commissions of private character."

These were not divulged that I know of - probably words of regret to girlfriend/fiancee Mary Branson....who knows? Have never read of what these private "commissions" consisted of - but then, they were private;and a good clergyman would keep his word and not divulge what was said except to the parties indicated.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-24-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't think the condemned were given such a luxury as a last request. I wonder if a last meal, last request, etc is a more modern idea.
04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure if this completely answers the question, but it sure sounds like a special request considering the circumstances. In Remarkable Stories of the Lincoln Assassination, it's mentioned that David Herold's pointer dog was allowed to stay at the prison with him.

"Those in charge allowed Herold's 'splendid pointer dog' to be kept at the prison during his confinement. As bad as his crime was, the officers felt they did not want to deny Herold the comfort of having his dog nearby. An even bigger irony is what would ultimately happen to the dog. Herold gave it to the officer in charge of the prisoners, General John C. Hartranft, who received it upon David's death."
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
That's a great little book full of great stories. My wife wants another dog and she's been thinking among other things, a weimaraner. Maybe I can guide her towards a fine German Pointer. It would be interesting to tell people that we got the same kind of dog that Davey had. It would go right over most people's heads.
04-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Or they might think you're talking about Davy Crockett Tongue
04-25-2013, 05:26 AM
The author of that excellent book, Mike Kanazawich, is a member here. I'll try to give him a nudge to post more often.
04-25-2013, 06:09 AM
(04-25-2013 05:26 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  The author of that excellent book, Mike Kanazawich, is a member here. I'll try to give him a nudge to post more often.

It's the best $10.00 I've spent on a book. Easy reading, fun, great facts. Very original work.
04-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Excellent book - I also have a copy and the tidbits are wonderful!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-25-2013, 06:45 AM
(04-25-2013 06:09 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  
(04-25-2013 05:26 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  The author of that excellent book, Mike Kanazawich, is a member here. I'll try to give him a nudge to post more often.

It's the best $10.00 I've spent on a book. Easy reading, fun, great facts. Very original work.

It is a great book. I believe he still personally signs each copy, too.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Was there wills back then? Any of the conspirators have one?
04-25-2013, 03:05 PM
I haven't heard of any wills left by the condemned, but someone here might well prove me wrong.
04-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I have never heard of any wills either. Mrs. Surratt inherited nothing but bills when her husband died in 1862, because he died without a will and widows could not inherit in such cases (at least in Maryland). Therefore, his property in Surrattsville and D.C. went to his three children. Shortly before leaving his job with the Adams Express Company and committing all of his time to the Confederacy, John, Jr. signed over his property rights to his mother. He knew that the Confiscation Acts would kick in if his role as an enemy agent was found out. That would have been the first time that his mother owned anything and I doubt there was any time or money to have a will drawn up.

As to last requests: I hope that I remember to tell you about the spurious "final note" supposedly written by Mrs. Surratt on the morning of her execution. I have a copy of it at work and will try to post it tomorrow.
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Amazingly, I remembered to find the "final note" from Mary Surratt. Here's a little background since I previously used the word "spurious" in mentioning it above:

About forty years ago, James O. Hall found a copy of the supposed original of this note in the Library of Congress and presented a copy to Surratt House Museum. The original note disappeared years ago, but the story behind it is that an alcoholic customer walked into a bar in Baltimore sometime about the turn of the 20th century, and traded the original for his daily sustenance. Somehow the original made its way to the LOC only to disappear years later.

What you read here is a translation of the original which is written in a very shaky hand with large blobs of ink in the script as well as on the paper - what one would expect from a woman about to be hanged (if she was even lucid enough to write).

Washington July 7 1865

Dear E___a (This could be Emma or Eliza)

Please stay with Annie today. God knows I am innocent but for some cause I must suffer today.
Good bye.

God Bless you
Mary E. Surratt

There is a notation showing that the letter had to pass through Gen. Hartranft before it could leave the penitentiary. It also has the LOC reference number of Ac2670 in the upper corner.

Over the years, Mr. Hall, Mr. Brennan, and others debated the authenticity of the original; and it has pretty much slipped into oblivion as far as history is concerned.