April 15, 2013
04-15-2013, 11:11 AM
April 15, 2013
so what does every one think about htis quote they posted for today in history for Abraham,

"We cannot escape history...the fiery trial through which we pass will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation." –Abraham Lincoln

thoughts anyone?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2013, 11:47 AM
RE: April 15, 2013
Unfortunately, I think that current and future generations are escaping history right now through lack of education in the field. I would prefer to think like Mr. Lincoln, but sometimes I suspect that I am in the minority.
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure of the context of the quote....when and where was it made, before or after he became President, in the middle of the war?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Gene, it's from Lincoln's Second Annual Message to Congress dated December 1, 1862. Here's the whole paragraph:

Fellow-citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this Congress and this administration, will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance, or insignificance, can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We know how to save the Union. The world knows we do know how to save it. We -- even we here -- hold the power, and bear the responsibility. In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free -- honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just -- a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless.
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
It's good to have you back posting on the Forum, Ashley. Lincoln was very aware that he and his contemporaries were making history and that future generations would look back on what was done- good or bad.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks Roger, It's a much more powerful statement and carries a deeper meaning with the rest of the paragraph.
The principles of his statement still apply today.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-15-2013, 06:21 PM
In light of the events of today's attack in Boston, I think it is important to understand that history is today as well as the past and it is to our advantage and improvement as a class of people to value the lesson that history teach us, and often ignore.
04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
April 15 may become a symbolic day of infamy: Lincoln's death in 1865; the sinking of the Titanic in 1912; the senseless destruction of human life in Boston in 2013.
04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Laurie: I agree-and had thought the same thing myself.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user