Lincoln impersonator circa 1975
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Lincoln impersonator circa 1975
I came across news reports this weekend detailing the national convention of Abraham Lincoln Presenters (ALP) in Columbus Ohio (http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/...city.html) and it brought back a distant memory of a Lincoln impersonator that I saw back in 1975 when I was in junior high school in Effingham, Illinois.

While Effingham isn't exactly the heart of Lincolnland (about 100 miles southeast of Springfield ---it is plenty close. Lincoln road the circuit through Shelby County just to the north. Anyway I remember I was in Social Studies class --I think that this was either the spring of 1974 or 1975 -- when the teacher passed out flyers advertising the appearance of a Lincoln impersonator to be held in the gym of another local school ---and extra credit would be given to any student who attended. One of the points noted on the flyer was that the presenter was actually related to Lincoln (last name was Hanks I remembered) -- I was a great Lincoln admirer and was properly impressed. I made plans to attend and with great effort talked a couple of my friends into tagging along.

We appeared in the gym at the appointed hour and were surprised to find that only two or three other people had shown up for the show. I remember feeling sorry for the Lincoln impersonator and kind of embarrassed that so small a crowd had turned out to see him. But he gave the show in the best theatrical tradition - looked like the genuine article-- and carried on even if it was for just a few kids in a stuffy empty gym. Gas was only 50 cents a gallon back then but I am sure that he did not make a cent for his effort.

Summoning up that memory switched on my curiousity and I put in the search item "Hanks Lincoln impersonator" and found Bruce Hanks again after almost 40 years. I am 95% percent sure he was the generous determined fellow I watched perform almost 40 years ago. The search yielded many hits related to his successful career which included mention in People magazine in 1976. The last notes on him I can find are from 2009. By all measures a fine gentleman.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
RE: Lincoln impersonator circa 1975
I love this post because there are many Lincoln impersonators out there continuing to teach history where our school systems have failed. Many of them do it for little or no compensation. On May 19, Surratt House is having one of the greatest of all give a presentation on how "he" (Mr. LIncoln) had to deal with getting the Emancipation Proclamation through 150 years ago. Mr. Lincoln this time is the wonderful Jim Getty.

About five years ago, the convention of Abraham Lincoln Presenters was held at the Colony South Hotel in Clinton, Maryland - the same hotel we use for the Surratt conference. About fifty of them toured the Surratt House and posed for pictures. It's a little disconcerting to see about twenty-five of them lined up in front of the house. It certainly stopped traffic!

One of my favorite photos is of Genl Grant, who accompanied the Lincolns, exiting the kitchen door. One of my costumed ladies is standing at the door, and it appears as if this Southern lady has ordered that damned Yankee out of her kitchen...
04-15-2013, 07:56 AM
The link provided didn't yield the page! is it my computer? Anyway it is a wonderful post. Our own Forum has Lincoln presenter Fred Priebe as a member. He, and others like him, are providing education about Lincoln and his era that folks wouldn't otherwise get. Still sad to say, that many find history boring or irrelevant-and don't even care to see and hear a Lincoln presenter.
Laurie: Mr. Priebe corrected me when I once referenced Lincoln "impersonators!"

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I apologize for the slip; I've been corrected on "presenter" vs. "impersonator" also. Am I correct that one of the new members of this forum, Fritz Klein, is also a Lincoln presenter?
04-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Yes, Laurie. Fritz just joined within the past few days. He has a website here.
04-15-2013, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 10:05 AM by Gene C.)
Wow, the photos are great. He looks more like Lincoln than President Obama's photo in the picture Linda Anderson posted (which was pretty good) on the "Is Obama-Lincoln Reincarnated" post

The photos seem to capture a bit of Lincoln's personality.

Welcome Mr. Klein.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-19-2013, 04:18 PM
(04-14-2013 08:50 PM)L Verge Wrote:  About five years ago, the convention of Abraham Lincoln Presenters was held at the Colony South Hotel in Clinton, Maryland - the same hotel we use for the Surratt conference. About fifty of them toured the Surratt House and posed for pictures. It's a little disconcerting to see about twenty-five of them lined up in front of the house. It certainly stopped traffic!

Laurie sent a photo of the Lincoln presenters at Surratt House. The second photo is General Grant being removed from the kitchen.

[Image: surratthmuseum2.jpg]

[Image: surratthmuseum1.jpg]
04-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I happen to be a fan of Gen. Grant (just don't tell Joe Beckert), but this may be the cleanest that the General ever looked.
04-19-2013, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 05:59 PM by BettyO.)
Great looking Grant!!

Sorry....but I couldn't resist....

John Wilkes Booth's Worst Nightmare -

[Image: sworstnightmare2.jpg]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Maybe by the time Booth got to Surratt House he'd had so much brandy he was seeing double and double and double and..... He wouldn't have needed that bottle of whiskey that Mary had arranged for.
04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
That really is an awesome looking Grant. Betty, what would the caption be for Booth's thoughts?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-19-2013, 09:23 PM
She's not allowed to post the original caption....