Reward amounts
04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Reward amounts
I've seen several different reward amounts for Booth specifically in books and on reward posters. Does anyone know if the definitive April 26 price on Booth's head alone was $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000? Sources seem to disagree.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
RE: Reward amounts
(04-03-2013 05:14 PM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  I've seen several different reward amounts for Booth specifically in books and on reward posters. Does anyone know if the definitive April 26 price on Booth's head alone was $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000? Sources seem to disagree.

Dropped by to see what was happening and noticed this thread.

There were a number of rewards offered for Booth's capture by various agencies, but the one most people are familiar with is the $100,000 offered by the war department. Of that $50,000 was offered for Booth, $25,000 for David Herold and $25,000 for John Surratt. When the members of the 16th New York Cavalry and Everton Conger and Byron Baker battled for the money after Booth's capture, the amount in contention was $75,000 (the amounts for Booth and Herold).

Here's the link to the article I wrote on the rewards.

Best
Rob

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jala/2629860...w=fulltext

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Rob,
This is very helpful. Wonderful article too.
Thank you,
Kathy
04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Rob: great article! You mentioned the Garrett family. Since Booth and Herald were actually locked in the Garrett barn, don't you think that Mr. Garrett should have been counted as responsible (on some level) for their capture-and therefore due some of the reward? Instead, as you say, he was almost given a rope.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm sure Mr. Garrett having been a Southern sympathizer with family fighting in the Confederate army did not help him claim any reward.
04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
That's what kept him from getting a Gov't reimbursement for his barn.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-04-2013, 07:57 PM
(04-04-2013 09:44 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  That's what kept him from getting a Gov't reimbursement for his barn.

Edwin Booth ended up paying Garrett for the loss of his barn.
How much he paid, I don't know.
04-04-2013, 08:02 PM
I always thought Edwin paid for the barn, but Dave Taylor has done quite a bit with the Garrett family and he said there's nothing conclusive that he did. Somewhere I read the Gov't report denying Garrett's claim and it mentioned his Confederate sympathies.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-04-2013, 08:58 PM
I think not only "No Way", but "No Way In Hell" was Edwin Stanton about to pay out one red cent of reward money to a Virginian. I had followed leads that Willie Jett had secretly received reward money. After alot of searching to see if Willie ever bought any realestate, or had any estate, I found nothing. I think that Statnton probably felt charitable that he didn't convict or hang any Virginians.
04-04-2013, 11:15 PM
A "CIS" report on Garrett's claim for the barn and all of its contents is on file in the J. O. Hall papers. His claim was denied because he would not sign an oath of Alligence, after the war. According to the claim, the barn was "Packed" with personal goods, furniture and farm equipment. If his claim was true, Corbett never could have had a clear shot at Booth. That report would not show any other efforts to collect for the loses, such as a Booth family payment.
04-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Just heard that Rob Wick had a heart attack and is in the hospital. Let's wish him a speedy recovery.
04-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Very sad to hear this. Get well soon, Rob!
04-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Best Wishes and prayers for a complete recovery, Rob. Get well soon.

04-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Agreed - Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Rob!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Get well soon Rob, you don't want to miss the Quilt Show and the Dogwood Trail. There is a Dairy Queen close by so you can take a break from all the excitement.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?