A Change of Heart?
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
A Change of Heart?
In 1860, only one man in Prince George's County, Maryland (the home county of the Surratt family) voted for Abraham Lincoln. In the election of 1864, a few more did switch their votes to the incumbent.

The assassination of Mr. Lincoln, however, evidently saw the county's leaders having a change of heart. I just received a copy of an advertisement from the Daily National Intelligencer of May 5, 1865, in which "The County Commissioners of Prince George's County will pay a reward of TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for the apprehension of any of the parties concerned (whether as principals or accessories before or after the fact) in the recent assassination of the President and Secretary of State of the United States, provided said parties, or any of them, shall be taken within the limits of said county."

Note that this advertisement appeared just a few days before the trial of the conspirators began in Washington, D.C.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2013, 06:20 AM
RE: A Change of Heart?
Maybe they though it would be wise to print something like that anyhow, seeing what revenge the Feds were starting to wreak in then area.
Better late than never?
03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
RE: A Change of Heart?
I thought the exact same thing Mr. Hess. I remember years ago hearing someone say that lots of Confederate-supporting Marylanders became Lincoln supporters after the assassination because they feared retaliation.
Find all posts by this user