Fascinating story from Surratt Society President
03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Fascinating story from Surratt Society President
Thank you to Laurie for sending this interesting story.

Laurie writes:

“Louise Oertly is a long-time volunteer at the Surratt House and the current President of the Surratt Society. Her mother’s maiden name was Lincoln, and the following is what genealogical research has turned up so far. I knew the family history, but just was shown her great-grandfather’s photo and was amazed at the Lincoln resemblance."

Louise writes:

"Attached is the photo of my great grandfather Eugene Lincoln (1862-1936). Looking at the photo, you can definitely see the family resemblance. He was also tall, six foot three.

According to the information passed down, his father, Marshall Towsend Lincoln (1821-1890), and Abe were second cousins (descended from Mordecai), although a cousin is now saying that he was told the common ancestor is one generation closer (Virginia John). Unfortunately, we can't confirm either one, as we don't know name of Marshall's father or the location of Marshall's birth. The census (depending on the year) says the place of birth is either Massachusetts or Rhode Island, and a great aunt told me Vineland, New Jersey. To further confuse things, his death certificate says Rhode Island, but his D.C. obit alerts the Boston and Albany (moved there as an adult) newspapers, so there must be a Massachusetts connection.

The family story about Marshall is that Lincoln called him to D.C. from Albany and appointed him chief engineer of the U.S. Government Printing Office. (According to the 1860 census, Marshall and his family were already in Washington, so a big question mark on that one.) After Lincoln's assassination, Marshall turned in his resignation to Johnson, who told him he didn't have to resign, but thanks for doing so. Marshall continued to work for GPO after that, but in a lower position. (His working for GPO is confirmed by the D.C. city directories.)

Proof yet again, that, at Surratt House, all is forgiven between Mr. Lincoln and the Surratts."

[Image: lookslikeabrahamlincoln.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: Fascinating story from Surratt Society President
Great story-and, yes, the gentleman sure looks like our man!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2013, 07:35 AM
RE: Fascinating story from Surratt Society President
Gary, Vineland!

(03-14-2013 02:09 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  ... and a great aunt told me Vineland, New Jersey.
Find all posts by this user