Where was Booth on April 3rd, 1865?
03-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Where was Booth on April 3rd, 1865?
1. In "Killing Lincoln" the TV movie, they made a special scene where Booth was talking to what I believe was meant to be "The New York Crowd" and clearly labeled April 3, 1865. I question this because he supposidly met with them on March 18 +/-.
2. There is also some thought that Booth left Washington on April 1 with Stringfellow. Stringfellow was captured in Charles Co, MD April 4, but no Booth present.
3. Booth was said to be in NYC, visiting with his family April 1 to 4, and in Boston on the 5th.
4. Then there is the report that he was in Rhode Island when Richmond fell (April 2) and he and Lucy Hale checked into the Aquidneck Hotel, but returned to Boston that same day.

How can we expect the "Killing Libcoln" people to be without fault, when we can not provide them with the "straight skinny"?

PS. DId you know that Dr. Riicard H. Stuart was a majoe stockholder in the "National Hotel" in D.C.? "He owned it".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 06:27 AM
RE: Where was Booth on April 3rd, 1865?
Here's what Theodore Roscoe writes on this. In the Web of Conspiracy, regarding JWB's whereabouts on April 3: "On that day Booth was in Newport, Rhode Island, engaged in an affaire d'amour. He broke it off, and went to Boston to see his brother Edwin."
03-04-2013, 07:04 AM
So it would seem that Booth was not in New York that day?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2013, 10:45 AM
(03-03-2013 10:38 PM)John Stanton Wrote:  1. In "Killing Lincoln" the TV movie, they made a special scene where Booth was talking to what I believe was meant to be "The New York Crowd" and clearly labeled April 3, 1865. I question this because he supposidly met with them on March 18 +/-.
2. There is also some thought that Booth left Washington on April 1 with Stringfellow. Stringfellow was captured in Charles Co, MD April 4, but no Booth present.
3. Booth was said to be in NYC, visiting with his family April 1 to 4, and in Boston on the 5th.
4. Then there is the report that he was in Rhode Island when Richmond fell (April 2) and he and Lucy Hale checked into the Aquidneck Hotel, but returned to Boston that same day.

How can we expect the "Killing Libcoln" people to be without fault, when we can not provide them with the "straight skinny"?

PS. DId you know that Dr. Riicard H. Stuart was a majoe stockholder in the "National Hotel" in D.C.? "He owned it".

On April 3 at 6:30 p.m. Atzerodt and another man reportedly took Booth's small bay mare and the one-eyed horse to Nailor’s Stable. The other man fit the description of Booth - 5' 7 1/2, age 30-35, curly, black hair, heavy black mustache. The man said he was going to Philadelphia. (See John Fletcher in Poore and Surratt Trial.) However, Booth left the National Hotel for Baltimore on the afternoon of April 1 and did not check into the National again until April 8. So there is a conflict. Further, on April 2 Mrs. Surratt sent Weichman to see Booth about borrowing one of his horses in the Stringfellow matter. Booth was out of town.

John, I believe Booth & Lady checked into the Aquidneck House on April 5. The handwriting on the register is not Booth's. Mr. Hall found another J. W. Booth who lived in Boston and speculated the guy with lady was not our JWB.
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Bless you, Art, for pointing out that little detail about it not being Booth's handwriting in the hotel register at the Aquidneck. I have never believed that Lucy Hale - no matter how liberal she was for her era - would have flaunted etiquette to that degree, especially in an area of the country where her father was so well-known.

John, Guess who returned from England after the war to work at Dr. Stuart's National Hotel...Thomas Harbin.
03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
(03-04-2013 10:45 AM)Art Loux Wrote:  John, I believe Booth & Lady checked into the Aquidneck House on April 5. The handwriting on the register is not Booth's. Mr. Hall found another J. W. Booth who lived in Boston and speculated the guy with lady was not our JWB.

Wow, you mean Lucy was there with some other guy? No wonder Booth's last words were "Lucy, Lucy" Huh

That would also explain why he wrote in his diary that he wanted to go back to Washington to clear his name. (with Lucy?)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Sorry, Gene, but there's no evidence to support that it was Lucy there with any gentleman.
03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
This is the first I've heard that it's not Booth's signature in the hotel register. The last time I saw it, it looked like Booth's very distinctive handwriting. Do you have a scan of that you can post Roger?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
That's OK Laurie, I'm with you on the opinion she was never there in the first place.

With all the details and areas of expertise represented here, it's not to hard to get overwhelmed with info, and get confused.

03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
(03-04-2013 11:45 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  This is the first I've heard that it's not Booth's signature in the hotel register. The last time I saw it, it looked like Booth's very distinctive handwriting. Do you have a scan of that you can post Roger?

Joe, this is what I think you refer to:

[Image: 5898483_1_l.jpg]
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Why would or would not this be JWB's signature?

Are there any other examples of his signatures we can compare this one to?

03-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I scanned this from the book by Rhodehamel and Taper:

[Image: boothsignarure.jpg]
03-04-2013, 04:09 PM
IMO there are a lot of similarities between the two signatures. However.....when I was watching Pawn Stars the other day they were comparing sinatures of someone and the "expert" indicated people usually don't change how they sign their names. (ex. J W Booth vs. J Wilkes Booth)

03-04-2013, 05:12 PM
(03-04-2013 11:45 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  This is the first I've heard that it's not Booth's signature in the hotel register. The last time I saw it, it looked like Booth's very distinctive handwriting. Do you have a scan of that you can post Roger?

Attached is a facsimile of the register shown in Sandburg.

Dr. Lattimer owned the register in 1984. At that time JOH did not think the writing was JWB's.

(03-04-2013 11:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  

Joe, this is what I think you refer to:

[Image: 5898483_1_l.jpg]

Here, for the sake of overkill, is a photo of the whole page of the Aquidneck House register with JOH's comment.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Can anyone make out what the word is after "Lady?"