[Image: jRWCWCo6XllUl.jpg]

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 06:26 PM
RE: Colourised Photos
(02-28-2013 05:28 PM)MaddieM Wrote:  Wow!

Wow is right! Wonderful job.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Somehow he doesn't look so scary in color.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2013, 07:20 PM
I am assuming this is one of David Richardson's photos. He gave an excellent presentation this past September at a Surratt House luncheon on both his colorization techniques and his 3D work on period photos. He's someone we should have on this forum. I'm going to contact him.
02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
I corresponded, both by email and lengthy phone conversations, with David several times and also bought his book on colorizing period photos. He really knows his stuff and is a fascinating person.

I really intended to get into colorizing, as I'm pretty proficient in Photoshop, but earning a living has gotten in the way!

Dagnabit!

--Jim

--Jim

03-01-2013, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 09:58 AM by MaddieM.)
(02-28-2013 07:20 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I am assuming this is one of David Richardson's photos. He gave an excellent presentation this past September at a Surratt House luncheon on both his colorization techniques and his 3D work on period photos. He's someone we should have on this forum. I'm going to contact him.

I don't think it is. This guy says he's eighteen and calls himself Mads. Here is his pinterest.

http://zuzahgaming.minus.com/

[Image: jbfskAwfsjRU2E.jpg]

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
He does great work.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Wow! He sure does!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Love the hint of 5 o'clock shadow on Lewis!
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 01:19 PM by BettyO.)
Quote:Love the hint of 5 o'clock shadow on Lewis!

Definitely! He sure doesn't look like a "big beardless boy" here!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-01-2013, 04:53 PM
I also say WOW! This young man that calls himself MADS has quite a talent. Would love to see more of his work. He does bring Geroge & Lewis to life. Enjoy the day!
03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
I originally posted this in another thread, but we may as well have the whole crew together.

[Image: $(KGrHqZ,!pgFCp)nq0)MBQs7Zc(ZDQ~~60_57.JPG]

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
03-01-2013, 07:26 PM
As part of my job, I once took a workshop on how to create attractive publications and publicity pieces. The effective use of color was, of course, a main point of the class. These colorized versions of our well-known photos say it all. This one impressed me right down to seeing the scuff marks along the base of the woodwork contrasted against the geometric pattern of the carpet.
03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Laurie, as a graphics person, I've spent the last 40 years trying to convince folks that color adds meaning and an emotional connection when applied to publications. Part of the problem is that many of the folks making the decisions are (long story short) clods.

As much as I love old black-and-white movies and images, the fact is that folks like and expect to see color.

I've had executives tell me that color meant nothing to them when it came to what they read. Once, acting on a hunch, because 20% of men have some degree of impairment in seeing color, I asked a guy who said that (he ran a then-large engineering firm), "Hmm. Are you by any chance color blind?" Of course, he was, as were seven of the nine fellows on that company's executive council.

I responded, "Please remember that just because you don't get something doesn't mean it isn't true; it just means that you don't get it."

That engineering firm is no more; those guys augered it right into the ground. Their graphics looked like the old gray-lady version of the New York Times.

--Jim

03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Does there appear to be a cut or abrasion on Lewis's left hand?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?