Who's to blame?
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Who's to blame?
This question might not start up too much discussion but I've always wondered about if Booth hadn't broken his leg, would he have ever been captured? Obviously, we will never know so I pose a different question: who is to blame for Booth being found? Willie Jett? William Rollins?

I wonder in a round-a-bout way if you could "pin" it on Harbin. If he and Baden hadn't been seen rowing across the river, the troops might not have crossed into VA as soon as they did, giving Booth more time to get further south...

“Within this enclosed area a structure to be inhabited by neither the living or the dead was fast approaching completion.”
~New York World 7/8/1865
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 05:42 PM by Laurie Verge.)
RE: Who's to blame?
I have always thought that Harbin's and Baden's crossing was a decoy to get the troops farther downriver so that Jones could get the fugitives across upriver.

William Rollins's wife, Betty, could share the blame since she kept up with the local love affairs and knew that Willie Jett was dating Izola Gouldman at the Star Hotel in Bowling Green. That led to Willie getting a rude awakening with an order he could not disobey. Let's blame love.
02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
I've always thought that Booth would have been caught eventually, but that it might have taken much longer. I don't think we can under estimate what an advantage a healthy leg would have been to Booth, but we also can't under estimate the forces that were looking for him. As far as who is to blame, it's pretty hard to put on one person. There were several who chipped in/shared the blame, as is to be expected in that kind of situation.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
While I don't have the account in front of me to quote from, Lucinda Holloway put the blame for Booth's capture solely on Willie Jett. Ms. Holloway had a strong hatred from Mr. Jett due to the grief he caused to her family by bringing Booth to the Garrett's. According to one of her later accounts, after dropping Booth off at the Garrett's, Jett separated from Ruggles, Bainbridge, and Herold, made his way to the nearest telegraph office and telegraphed the War department telling them where Booth was. According to her, the whole "arrest" thing was a set up and that Jett actually met up with the calvary and led them right to Booth in hopes of getting some reward money.

I tend to agree with Laurie, though. Bettie Rollins' knowledge of local gossip is what got Booth caught. If only Jett and Ms. Gouldman were more discrete, Booth may have escaped.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Is there any solid proof that Jett telegraphed the War Dept.?
02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
(02-26-2013 05:03 PM)Hess1865 Wrote:  Is there any solid proof that Jett telegraphed the War Dept.?

No, not at all. I'm pretty sure his movements were pretty well accounted for between Ruggles and Bainbridge and the Gouldman's. Lucinda Holloway just really hated Jett and either made it up, or easily convinced herself that it was true.
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
And poor Willie didn't even get the girl in the end. Luckily for Izola because his was not a happy ending.
02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Considering the reward and the feelings at the time, I'm sure there were plenty who would have hunted Booth to the ends of the earth.
02-27-2013, 08:52 AM
It was just a matter of time. Contrary to some beliefs, I don't think the Federal government woulf ever let the assassins of the President get away. I don't think any assassin of a head of state has gotten away with murder (unless it was a coup).
02-27-2013, 09:50 AM
I've always thought that Booth was his own worst enemy. During the escape he was telling people what he had done (probably NOT a good idea-but I know he thought he would be a "hero."). He also tarried too long at certain spots (i.e. Garrett farm). He would have been caught, regardless. Even Surratt was found in faraway Italy!

Bill Nash
02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
The strange thing with Surratt, however, was that the U.S. gov't. knew his whereabouts pretty much as he traveled down the continent from England. They preferred to "ignore" extraditing him. Read Andy Jampoler's book, The Last Lincoln Conspirator, or the published works of Fr. Alfred Isacsson for good details on Surratt's strange "escape."
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Good point, Laurie. Im sure there were "reasons" for not forcing the issue at the time. The whole story is really strange, indeed.

Bill Nash
03-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Who gets the Credit? Reward money. Seems a bit short of 100k? How many soldiers under Doherty's command?

Detective Conger $15,000.00
Edward Doherty $5,250.00
LaFayette Baker $3,500.00
Luther Baker $3,000.00
James O'Beirne $2,000.00
George Cottingham $1,000.00
H.H. Wells $1,000.00
Alexander Lovett $1,000.00
Soldiers under Doherty's Command $1,653.85 each
Boston Corbett $1,653.85
03-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Did Corbett get the amount he received for being the shooter?

Bill Nash
03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
No, he received the same amount allocated for enlisted men in the unit.