Surratt Conference Update
02-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Surratt Conference Update
Barring a late-winter snow storm or other natural "disaster," the 14th Annual Surratt Conference will be breaking attendance records. Our current registration is at 108 with at least 3-4 others who I know are coming. Add to that another 24 right now who are coming just to hear Erik Jendresen at the Saturday night banquet.

Last year's conference was the highest yet at 122, so we have surpassed that already. We also have 25 states and Washington, D.C. represented.

Come with clear minds and empty bellies 'cause we feed both minds and bodies. Hopefully, the combination of those two and good friendships all around will also feed your soul. I just want our daffodils to be in bloom. You'll find me sitting in the masses of blooms that we have on the museum grounds. Once I see the cheery little faces of daffodils, I know that I have survived another winter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
RE: Surratt Conference Update
Representing the Good Life "Nebraska"
02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Mr. Matthew "Nebraska," Don't you dare bring any of those Plains blizzards to Southern Maryland. Mama Verge can't abide snow...
02-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Matthew -

Bring them to Virginia the week AFTER the conference! Shut down Richmond for about two weeks!! Hahahahahaha!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Laurie - No promises, just as some of the conspirators, I have a cold heart . . . haha just kidding
Betty - Isn't that the Union's job?
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately, Matt, the Union did a damned good job of it in 1865 -- with the assistance of Richmond's own population.

If you do conjure up a snowstorm, please make sure that it just dumps on Richmond. I live about 125 miles north of Richmond and would prefer to see sunshine, temperatures in the 60s, crocuses, and daffodils. After all, Easter is March 31, and we don't want the Easter bunny to get frostbite.
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Easter Bunny is my hero!!!!
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Laurie, please be honest with me: should I come for the conference (which I very much want to do) or stick with my April 20th Booth escape tour? I live in SC so it's not easy to make both. My brother is coming with me to the April tour, so I am coming to that regardless; I am just trying to decide whether the conference merits two trips up I-95.

Such decisions!

Heath
02-26-2013, 08:57 AM
If you enjoy meeting people drinking beer and exchanging ideas, go to the conference. I hear Laurie is going as Mary Lincoln and Sandra as Elizabeth Keckley this year. Should be a hoot!
02-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Of course, I think you should do both! Be aware, however, that we charge a late fee of $20 as of March 1, and the reduced room rates at the hotel/conference center have now expired (tourist season hits D.C. in March, and we are only twelve miles from the city).

Unless there's some partying going on that I don't know about, there's lots more than beer drinking and exchanging ideas going on. We have excellent presentations planned, and the q&a after each talk brings out new points.

However, if you can only do one trip, I would say the Booth Tour and save your sheckles for next March. Also, sorry to disappoint, but this Mrs. Lincoln hung up her hoop skirts years ago. They only go on if I'm bribed with one too many Jack and Gingers.
02-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Bring the hoop skirt. I'll supply the Jack & Gingers.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
(02-26-2013 09:53 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Of course, I think you should do both! Be aware, however, that we charge a late fee of $20 as of March 1, and the reduced room rates at the hotel/conference center have now expired (tourist season hits D.C. in March, and we are only twelve miles from the city).

Unless there's some partying going on that I don't know about, there's lots more than beer drinking and exchanging ideas going on. We have excellent presentations planned, and the q&a after each talk brings out new points.

However, if you can only do one trip, I would say the Booth Tour and save your sheckles for next March. Also, sorry to disappoint, but this Mrs. Lincoln hung up her hoop skirts years ago. They only go on if I'm bribed with one too many Jack and Gingers.

Hi, Laurie,

I mailed my reservation today so I hope that the postmark gets me in before March 1. Signed up for the Booth Tour, too! (BTW: The hotel still has availability - at least as of February 25; good thing, as I didn't want to pitch a tent in the parking lot.)

I very much look forward to meeting lots of interesting folks.

RC
02-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Reignette,

I am so glad that you are coming, and I look forward to meeting you.
02-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Here's your next goal, Laurie. If you get 150 attendees, I will do my entire presentation with sock puppets. Wouldn't that be something to see! Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
With that thought in mind, I just cut off reservations at 149...