Swann house
02-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Swann house
Laurie, do you or Dave (or one of the locals) have any information on the Swann cabin? I assume it is no longer standing. What is there currently? I don't think that I've ever seen a photo of it.

With my theory that Wood's evidence of the Ford's leg break originally coming from Swann (but later retracted out of fear of a personal "come retribution" of sorts), I would love to go by and see the site of it when I come for the Booth Tour in April.

Heath
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
RE: Swann house
Unfortunately, the Swann cabin is long gone. I never remember seeing any sign of it over the past forty years. So far as I know, it would sit in what is now a wooded thicket off of an intersection between LaPlata and Hughesville. You will come close to the site on the tour, but will swing right at that intersection instead of going left past where it probably was.
Find all posts by this user
02-25-2013, 02:29 PM
(02-25-2013 02:10 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Unfortunately, the Swann cabin is long gone. I never remember seeing any sign of it over the past forty years. So far as I know, it would sit in what is now a wooded thicket off of an intersection between LaPlata and Hughesville. You will come close to the site on the tour, but will swing right at that intersection instead of going left past where it probably was.

Thanks for the reply, Laurie. It's obviously too bad that the cabin is gone. Oh, well
02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks to rapidly expanding development southwards from Washington, D.C. beginning in the 1960s, most reminders of slave cabins, sharecroppers/tenant farmers, disappeared from the landscape in Southern Maryland. Even our tobacco fields and barns are practically non-existant.
Find all posts by this user