I am so ashamed!
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I am so ashamed!
I come before the members of this symposium feeling deeply ashamed. I have three adult children. My oldest (my son) is, at this moment, re-watching "Killing Lincoln". My youngest daughter has helped me photograph and catalogue many sites and artifacts. My middle child, my beloved daughter, Willoughby, just asked my son, "So Lincoln was killed at Ford's Theatre?"

I ask this community where I went wrong; can they still accept me?Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
RE: I am so ashamed!
Jim, I think its a middle child thing. They tend to be a little "different".
(But then we can't all be normal like you and me)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
02-22-2013, 05:10 PM
I asked some of the women at work for suggestions on what to get my wife for Xmas. They said "does she have a dooney and bourke?" I asked them what that was. I am sure they shook the heads longer than you did with Willoughby. Its a matter of priorities.
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Dooney and Bourke? REALLY expensive pocket book!!

Make mine a really expensive BOOK about the assassination or a CDV! HA!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-22-2013, 07:21 PM
My son asked my daughter how she got a high school diploma? The state of Maryland has an American History proficiency requirement. My daughter didn't put two and two together as far as my obsession and volunteering at Ford's
02-23-2013, 11:40 AM
People ask me constantly: "Are your wife and kids into Lincoln like you?" The answer is "no." My wife has increased interest in him because of me. My adult children probably couldn't care less. Obviously, its my passion-not theirs. So it goes...

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Wife wonderful wife will sometimes ask, "Is Lincoln still dead?"
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
My family is like - "NOT Lewis Powell again!!?!?!"

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes, I experience that too. They just shake their heads and say: "you're so weird!" Well, I suppose they are right. After all, we are obsessed with a man and a time that is long gone. I don't know hardly any of today celebrities. I don't know popular songs for at least the last 15 years. Yet, I can tell you the smallest details of Abraham Lincoln. Yes, they're right. There is something strange about it all. Next stop: Willoughby!

Bill Nash
02-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Hey Bill,

Willoughby!! The next time i'm getting off!

One of my favorite episodes!

Craig
02-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Craig: you caught it! I'm getting off with you. This world this too crazy.

Bill Nash
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
There are other people obsessed with their hobbies besides we Lincolnites. When my daughter first started dating the jerk she would later marry, she "confessed" to him one night that her mother was a little weird. She was really into the Lincoln assassination and had a lot of friends who dressed in hoop skirts and uniforms and did Civil War reenactments.

The young man started to laugh. Jen thought he was laughing at the thought of meeting me - this weird lady. He was actually laughing because he had grown up off the North Carolina coast on a pirate ship that his father had built for the family (six of them) to live on while they also did pirate reenactments in full regalia. Come to find out, Jen's future father-in-law is the only registered privateer in the U.S., with papers signed by President Reagan to prove it. He still participates in the pirate battles off North Carolina, but also works with students in teaching sailing and maritime history.

At the wedding, he came in full pirate gear, and his sword was used to cut the wedding cake. When Jen's marriage broke up, I wanted to use that sword for something else! BTW: He even changed his name legally. He is now Capt. Horatio Sinbad. We just call him "Crazy Grandpa." For our North Carolina posters, look for him in the waters around Morehead City and Beauford.
02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Jim,Don't be ashamed.Your're kid's will always blow you away!
02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes they do!!
02-27-2013, 07:08 PM
My son does not share my interest in Lincoln; however, he enjoys reading a good book about Teddy Roosevelt any day. At least there is some aspect of history that captured his interest. My husband, on the other hand, has been known to say that he knows far more about Lincoln than he desires to know by simply listening to my phone conversations. He is grateful for this board so I can 'chat' about Lincoln and Mary all I want, and he does not have to hear a word of it.