Tad Lincoln
07-05-2012, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 05:33 AM by RJNorton.)
Tad Lincoln
Tad Lincoln may have been born with a partial cleft palate, his teeth came in crooked, and he spoke with a lisp. He was often difficult to understand. William H. Crook, one of President Lincoln's bodyguards, wrote that, "Taddie could never speak very plainly. He had his own language; the names that he gave some of us we like to remember today. The President was 'papa-day' which meant 'papa-dear.' Tom Pendel was 'Tom Pen,' and I was 'Took.' But for all his baby tongue he had a man's heart, and in some things a man's mind. I believe he was the best companion Mr. Lincoln ever had - one who always understood him, and whom he always understood."

Dr. John M. Hutchinson, president of Beacon College, has published extensive research on Tad's speech and language disorder. His research regarding Tad is online here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 07:35 AM
RE: Tad Lincoln
Yes,When you look at Tad's mouth you can plainly see the impediment!
07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Thank you so very much, Roger!

This is a facinating article - extremely well researched and written - amazing!

I know so little about Lincoln's life. It's grand that this Forum offers so much in that it is a real "learning place"! Now I can bone up on Lincoln Live as opposed to Lincoln Dead!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Which brings us to the title of Anthony Pitch's 2008 book, They Have Killed Papa Dead!": The Road to Ford's Theatre, Abraham Lincoln's Murder, and the Rage for Vengeance (Hanover, NH: Steerforth Press). The title supposedly refers to Tad Lincoln's comment of what happened to his father at Ford's Theatre. But Tad's speech impediment suggests that he might have indeed said "They have killed Papa-Day."
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM
(07-12-2012 02:17 PM)Dan Pearson Wrote:  Which brings us to the title of Anthony Pitch's 2008 book, They Have Killed Papa Dead!": The Road to Ford's Theatre, Abraham Lincoln's Murder, and the Rage for Vengeance (Hanover, NH: Steerforth Press). The title supposedly refers to Tad Lincoln's comment of what happened to his father at Ford's Theatre. But Tad's speech impediment suggests that he might have indeed said "They have killed Papa-Day."

You are very correct, Dan....great observance!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Dan,That is my favorite Assassination Book! A.Pitch and I have e-mailed each other many times!--You are Correct!
07-17-2012, 09:35 AM
I have also read the excellent book, "They Have Killed Papa Dead!" and wondered about Tad's wording of the statement. If Tad did make that statement exactly as the title suggests-it seems an odd way to phrase it. Is it something to do with his speech issue or is it a 19th century way of stating it? If Tad actually said: "They have killed Papa-Day"-which means "Papa-Dear"-it makes more sense. Fascinating stuff!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 09:50 AM
LincolnMan-I am taking the title at face value! I think that Tad was devastated and traumatized by the total event!You have remember,it added to Mary's depression and the boys were spoiled! Very Fascinating Stuff!
07-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey Herb: How are you? Like several on this current Forum, I remember you from the old on-line Lincoln discussion board. Glad you're here! Of course I know Tad was in shock at the news-especially it was made known to him. So there is the possibility that Tad's verbal statement was simply an outburst in reaction to such a horrible thing. That is a real possibility. Heck, sometimes I don't make sense just in casual conversation- I just chalk it up to getting old. Shy

Bill Nash
07-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Bill-It has been a very rough year,my wife died last summer of Dementia! I can feel for Tad and Mary Lincoln very easily!
07-17-2012, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 02:24 PM by LincolnMan.)
Herb: I'm so sorry to hear that. Your are certainly in our thoughts and prayers. Keep your chin up as best you can! I can't begin to understand your loss.

Herb: I love your avatar of Custer. I live not far from Monroe, Michigan which which was Custer's chosen hometown. Any particular reason you chose his picture? On my blog I did a posting on the renaming of a Detroit public school that was named after Custer to Thurgood Marshall. Comments were left by some readers to state that Custer is not worthy now to have a school named after him because he was racist...

Bill Nash
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Bill-I picked Custer because we are both rogues!Also,I have been through Monroe,Mich on my way to Western Michigan University as a student.Thanks for your empathy,as it has been tough with family dynamics!
08-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I always wondered if Tad did indeed phrase his outburst like that is maybe because he was so spoiled and neither Lincoln no Mary really pushed his education. I thought I remembered reading something online about Mary and her life after the assassination, being committed etc. and that Tad was all but illiterate because he got no discipline as a child. That seems a bit extreme to be almost if not fully illiterate...thoughts?

“Within this enclosed area a structure to be inhabited by neither the living or the dead was fast approaching completion.”
~New York World 7/8/1865
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Lindsey,I feel that Tad was more of a child with"Special Needs" than the Lincoln's realized! In the 1860's we did not have the ability or technology to diagnose those needs.They probably were spoiling him because they saw his physical and social disabilities.He very well had many "issues",and the Lincoln's were either ignoring it or dumbfounded!I look at it as in the movie"The Kings Speech"-Hide it due to embarassment, and Abe being the President of The United States!
08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
After Lincoln's death, Mary tried to make up for Tad's lack of education and discipline. He went to school in Europe and also in Chicago. She provided him with tutors. I have always hoped that he greatly improved due to her efforts. Is there further formation about Tad in Emerson's book on Robert? If Tad's disabilities were severe, maybe Robert tried to hide them from the public.

Roger mentions on his Tad Lincoln page that he and Robert testified at the John Surratt trial in 1867. I wonder if a transcript exists?

Karen S. Campbell
Southwest Ohio Research
Let the Journeys Begin Blog
What's New About Lincoln