Useless, useless
02-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Useless, useless
John Wilkes Booth is said to have uttered "useless, useless" while looking at his upheld hands. What do you think he was expressing? Was he somewhat in shock over the inabilty to move? Or was he voicing regret over his young life about to end? Or both? I've always found his comment somewhat of a puzzle. I have actually been at several deathbed scenes (not that any of them were similar)-and have never heard anything like Booth's expression.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2013 10:49 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Useless, useless
I believe that what JWB was saying was perhaps twofold -

He asked to view his hands. Therefore he was bemoaning the fact that his hands themselves were useless AND I also believe that he, at the end, was uttering the finality that his act of "saving the South" itself was useless. He had read the papers - he knew that as he stated in his diary, that "every man's hand was against him." Forced to be on the run, treated like a criminal - not the welcomed hero he believed. He, at the end, knew that his life was wasted and damned by perpetuating this useless crime. He destroyed Lincoln's life, Seward and Seward's family, Davey's life, the lives of the other conspirators as well his own. It was all "Useless"......

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
02-21-2013, 10:54 AM
The best one is from J Dennis Robinson, The 'New' Dying words of JWB," in As I Please, 2 (No. 5, April 20, 1998) at seacoastnh.com, believes that Booth was looking at the ring Lucy Hale supposedly had given him, when Lt. Baker raised his hands. He uttered "Lucy, Lucy," but his tongue was nearly paralyzed so the words came out as Baker thought it ought. He suggests one hold the tip of one's tongue and try it. Maybe Robinson and we are guilty of what we accused Baker of--hearing what we want. It should have happened that way, even if it did not. Booth's trouble in making himself understood is directly related to his difficulty in breathing, which led eventually to his asphyxiation. No matter what his last words were, Dr. Blaine V. Houmes, “The Last Words of John Wilkes Booth . . . Or Were They?” Surratt Courier, 32 (June 2007), 3-7, believes that Booth could talk in some fashion after being shot as his vocal cords were undamaged.
02-21-2013, 11:45 AM
(02-21-2013 10:54 AM)william l. richter Wrote:  The best one is from J Dennis Robinson, The 'New' Dying words of JWB," in As I Please, 2 (No. 5, April 20, 1998) at seacoastnh.com, believes that Booth was looking at the ring Lucy Hale supposedly had given him, when Lt. Baker raised his hands. He uttered "Lucy, Lucy," but his tongue was nearly paralyzed so the words came out as Baker thought it ought. He suggests one hold the tip of one's tongue and try it. Maybe Robinson and we are guilty of what we accused Baker of--hearing what we want. It should have happened that way, even if it did not. Booth's trouble in making himself understood is directly related to his difficulty in breathing, which led eventually to his asphyxiation. No matter what his last words were, Dr. Blaine V. Houmes, “The Last Words of John Wilkes Booth . . . Or Were They?” Surratt Courier, 32 (June 2007), 3-7, believes that Booth could talk in some fashion after being shot as his vocal cords were undamaged.
I don't believe his tongue was paralyzed to any extent. The tongue is innervated by the hypoglossal nerve which is a cranial nerve that orginates in the brain stem. Cranial nerves also innervate the "voice-box". Any difficulty Booth had talking was due to his difficulty breathing. Cervical levels 3-5 innervate the diaphragm. His injury was just low enough to allow some diaphragmatic breathing few a few hours until the swelling and inflammation slowly obliterated these levels and stopped his breathing at the end.
02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
(02-21-2013 10:48 AM)BettyO Wrote:  I believe that what JWB was saying was perhaps twofold -

He asked to view his hands. Therefore he was bemoaning the fact that his hands themselves were useless AND I also believe that he, at the end, was uttering the finality that his act of "saving the South" itself was useless. He had read the papers - he knew that as he stated in his diary, that "every man's hand was against him." Forced to be on the run, treated like a criminal - not the welcomed hero he believed. He, at the end, knew that his life was wasted and damned by perpetuating this useless crime. He destroyed Lincoln's life, Seward and Seward's family, Davey's life, the lives of the other conspirators as well his own. It was all "Useless"......

This is pretty much exactly what I think.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
I agree with Betty and Jonathan. When you stop and think about it, most of our life's work is done via our hands - whether in definite actions or by way of writing (or now typing). I think Booth meant that he had taken the fate of America into his own hands and, in the end, those hands had failed.

The "Lucy, Lucy" theory is pretty hard for me to swallow. I doubt seriously that Booth's dying thoughts were of Lucy Hale. BTW: Has anyone found evidence to that "Lucy ring" still being on Booth's pinky at the time of his death? Where is it now?
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Somehow, I just don't see Booth thinking about Lucy, much less calling her name, as he neared death. Of course, he may have; who knows? I think Booth had many lovers, but no one he was "in love with." Even if he was "engaged" to Lucy, I don't think he loved her.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-21-2013, 03:03 PM
But what if he was wearing a ring from Lucy and that's what he wanted to see one last time? Then the Lucy Lucy reference makes sense.
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
(02-21-2013 02:15 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Somehow, I just don't see Booth thinking about Lucy, much less calling her name, as he neared death. Of course, he may have; who knows? I think Booth had many lovers, but no one he was "in love with." Even if he was "engaged" to Lucy, I don't think he loved her.

I agree, Bill. There is no evidence that he LOVED Lucy --

To me, she just wasn't his type, if you know what I mean. He had far more attractive girl friends -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Lucy Hale was supposedly a belle of Washington society, but like Betty and Bill, I just don't see her as the only thing Booth could think of in his last moments of life. I think Lucy was a means to an end. If she was that dear to him, why would he put her in such danger by doing what he did? I know, he loved his country better than Lucy...
02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I posted this in another thread weeks ago, and I think I'll try again here. I think the story that Lucy Hale was studying Spanish with Robert Lincoln on the afternoon of the assassination is apocryphal. Can anyone prove me wrong by citing an actual source for this story?
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't know the source, but for some reason I thought that Robert or John Hay disclaimed that???
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
(02-21-2013 03:37 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Lucy Hale was supposedly a belle of Washington society, but like Betty and Bill, I just don't see her as the only thing Booth could think of in his last moments of life. I think Lucy was a means to an end. If she was that dear to him, why would he put her in such danger by doing what he did? I know, he loved his country better than Lucy...

I don't imagine that Booth was thinking of Lucy either but don't the standards of beauty change thoughout the years? Perhaps we should look at Lucy Hale through 19th century eyes. For example, I went to a lecture on Varina Davis last year and the audience was amazed to hear that Varina was not considered particularly attractive. We all thought that she was quite lovely but she was considered too "exotic" for the times. Of course, if Booth had a "type," that is another thing entirely.

[Image: varina1.gif]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
(02-21-2013 04:10 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I don't know the source, but for some reason I thought that Robert or John Hay disclaimed that???

I believe Hay stated he was studying Spanish with RTL the evening of the assassination.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
It looks like Wikipedia has slightly altered its article. I do not believe the word "allegedly" used to be there.

"On the afternoon of April 14, Lucy allegedly spent the afternoon studying Spanish with Robert Lincoln, and another former admirer, John Hay, President Lincoln's assistant private secretary."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Lambert_Hale

I believe I will edit the Wikipedia article further if no legitimate source can be cited.