Elizabeth Keckley
02-15-2013, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 11:23 AM by Gene C.)
Elizabeth Keckley
I am currently reading her book, "Behind the Scenes in the Lincoln White House". I have not read any of the current books about her. Is she considered a reliable source? If half of what she says about her self in this book is true, she was quite a remarkable lady.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
RE: Elizabeth Keckley
She was definitely a remarkable lady. If you want to read more about her, check out Jennifer Fleischner's excellent biography on her.
02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Gene, I read Ms Keckley's book years ago and thought that it was one of the best books about the Lincolns I had ever read. She had some solid insights into that family and it all had the ring of truth, as far as I was concerned.

I may need to read her book again.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
02-15-2013, 08:03 PM
I think that most Lincoln historians agree that much of what we know about the Lincolns in the White House has been gleaned from Mrs. Keckly's writings.
02-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Elizabeth Keckly was indeed a remarkable woman. There has been debate over whether or not she actually wrote the book, or whether she told her stories to a journalist who wrote them for her. I believe this debate began shortly after the book was first published. I think she wrote the book. Elizabeth was an intelligent woman and knew how to read and write.

As with all books containing complete conversations, we must remember that the memory is not always accurate. I also question the story about Lincoln taking Mary to a White House window and pointing to a mental hospital.
Laurie -- any more information about whether or not Lincoln could point to an asylum from the White House windows?
02-16-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm afraid not, Donna. We old-timers only speculate that he could based on the elevation of the asylum in D.C. compared to the White House and the fact that there were few buildings to hinder the view. As most of you know, even today, D.C. does not have skyscrapers. The current mayor is trying to change that, however. Silly me hopes he fails. I will always think that such landmarks as the Capitol Dome and the Washington Monument should standout on the landscape. Not to mention that, when I find myself lost in the city, I need to see the Washington Monument and steer towards it to get back on track.
02-16-2013, 09:44 PM
What did Elizabeth Keckley say in her book that caused Mary Todd Lincoln to end their friendship?
02-17-2013, 06:26 AM
I think the basic answer is that Mrs. Keckly made public a variety incidents, letters, private conversations, etc. that Mary Lincoln never intended the world to see. Mary considered Elizabeth her friend and confidante and never thought the private things she shared with Elizabeth or Elizabeth's White House observations (examples: "Mother, do you see that large white building on the hill yonder" or when Mary called Grant a butcher) would be in a book. I think Mary felt betrayed by Elizabeth.
02-21-2013, 07:48 AM
(02-16-2013 01:47 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm afraid not, Donna. We old-timers only speculate that he could based on the elevation of the asylum in D.C. compared to the White House and the fact that there were few buildings to hinder the view. As most of you know, even today, D.C. does not have skyscrapers. The current mayor is trying to change that, however. Silly me hopes he fails. I will always think that such landmarks as the Capitol Dome and the Washington Monument should standout on the landscape. Not to mention that, when I find myself lost in the city, I need to see the Washington Monument and steer towards it to get back on track.

There was also the account that AL could see the Confederate flag flying over the Marshall House hotel in Alexandria. Is it artistic license?
02-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Mary and especially Robert were extremely private when it came to family matters and felt betrayed by Lizzie. Ms. Keckly (I spell her name differently) said one of the reasons she wrote the book was in defense of her friend who was being trashed in the papers.
02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Rich - I spell it the same way because I believe that is how she signed it herself. The librarian at Surratt House did a tremendous amount of research on Mrs. Keckly and used to portray her at special programs held at Ford's over the past decade.
02-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Just finished reading Ms. Keckley's book, and I agree with Roger.
Mrs. Keckley was the same age as Mrs. Lincoln, and in several places in the book and in several letters from Mrs Lincoln to Ms. Keckley, she lets her know she is her closest friend. Some of the letters Mrs. Lincoln wrote to Ms Keckley were very private, certainly never intended to be shared (Mrs. Lincoln states that in several letters), let alone be put in a book.

I think the book itself is what ruined and ended the friendship between the two. Mrs. Lincoln was very close to Ms. Keckley, depended on her, trusted her, and in the end, would certainly feel betrayed by the info published in the book.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
02-24-2013, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 10:44 PM by GARY POPOLO.)
well looks like I have another book to add to my list of must have books. I am so sorry to have to admit that I never heard of miss Elizabeth Keckley until now. This is one of the great things about being on this forum with all you fine people. Since I have joined this forum I have learned so much more on Mr. Lincoln and all those people that were part of his life. Things I never would have thought about without you. Thank you all for allowing me to pick your minds and the enjoyment I get every day reading your posts.
02-25-2013, 06:37 AM
The Surratt House Museum has a nice page on the marking of Mrs. Keckly's grave here.
12-13-2018, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 11:56 PM by ReignetteC.)
The "Overlooked No More" column of the December 12 edition of The New York Times features an OBIT of Elizabeth Keckly.

"Overlooked No More: Elizabeth Keckly, Dressmaker and Confidante to Mary Todd Lincoln."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/obitu...overlooked