Booth's Breakfast and his host.
02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Booth's Breakfast and his host.
I have been corresponding with Rick Smith on the subject of this thread, and realized that there are various errors that need correcting.
1. The reference to Booth's Breakfast by William McDaniel, is not Indexed in "Come Retribution". The Book's index tells us about William L. MacDonald (in Canada), but the last cite -Pg 467- is really for William McDaniel (1804-1877) and the breakfast story.
2 Since you might want to dig deeper in researching William McDaniel, you should know that the Census sometimes refers to him as Wm. McDoniel. I attribute that to his Irish accent and an illiterate Census Taker (A U, S. Marshal.)
3 The King George Court records show that the farm was locared on the South side of Route 3, at the intersection of Rt. 3 and Rt 301. But, descendants have pointed out to me that the residence was North of Rt. 3. (Not a big deal, unless you are looking for the house.) (There is a Cemetery back in there somewhere.) That intersection was/is called "Office Hall".
4 I am working on errors shown on the map on Pg 466 of "C. R." Again - lets get it right, in case someone cares.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
RE: Booth's Breakfast and his host.
I thought it was lunch???
02-04-2013, 07:51 PM
What day are you talking about?
02-04-2013, 08:02 PM
(02-04-2013 07:45 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I thought it was lunch???

It was lunch. Rich Smyth and I have a picture of the house. House is long gone. The site was part of the Jim, Rich and Dave fall field trip.
02-04-2013, 11:40 PM
"C. R" does not say "Breakfast or Lunch". Only that McDaniel fed the group. "A.R." does not say anything about food, but said the group arrived at Port Conway at "Almost Mid-day". It's under 5 miles from Cleydael to Office Hall (Rt 301 and Rt 3). Say an hour or less to eat at McDaniel's and 4 miles to Port Conway. So, McDaniel's is "1/2" way to Port Conway. Since Booth had supper at Cleydael - and that was a fight,- he didn't eat breakfast there. The Lucas cabin was another quarrel, so I would not expect Lucas to feed him too. (Lucas knew that there were meals available - half way to Port Conway) While we are on this topic, I believe that McDaniel was one of the "safe-houses" in King George. He was perfectly situated, for travelers, etc. Unfortunately, we don't have any records of others stopping there. So, I'm sticking with "Breakfast". If that's my story, then where did he have lunch? Wasn't supper at Garrett's? For Linda: This was on Monday April 24th, 1865.
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Rick Smith and I have discussed this in detail. . . . What the heck, let's call it brunch!
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Good Call, WIld Bill. Too late for breakfast - too early for lunch. Another thought occured to me; I said that Lucas was driving, but I think, Booth was steering. Booth knew where to find a meal. (I'd bet that he had been there before.) The route that Booth planned for the Abduction, became the escape route, exept he expected to enter King George from the north -about even with Cleydael. Not from the east at Gambo. From Gambo to Cleydael he was LOST. Fron Cleydael on, he was in charge. If you want to crank-up your Crismond Project again, I can add some "good stuff" for you. (I didn't know it before, but there is an elderly Crismond lady in her Bridge Club, I will get the "waterboard" ready for her next visit here.)