The WOW Factor
01-30-2013, 01:20 PM
The WOW Factor
If I'm reading things correctly, this forum had 117 postings yesterday alone. Way to go, friends!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
RE: The WOW Factor
Wow - we're smokin'! Let's keep burning up the keyboards as well as our minds with the research we've done and the info we've discovered!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
(01-30-2013 01:30 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Wow - we're smokin'! Let's keep burning up the keyboards as well as our minds with the research we've done and the info we've discovered!!

I think we're about due for a 'Betty Special"

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
01-30-2013, 05:48 PM
There you go encouraging her again!! She's been doing some stand-up comedian e-mails with me today. I think she missed her calling in life. She should retire to a life of comedy clubs where she does historical/hysterical take-offs.

Seriously, that's been the great part of being on this forum. We manage to have fun (most of the time) as well as to be academic in our postings. Roger runs a tight ship, and there are no silly - aka stupid - jabs and punches that have absolutely nothing to do with historical information. I certainly appreciate that.
02-05-2013, 05:41 PM
laurie.....i trust your opinion. in three sentences or less, what is your take on the spielberg lincoln flick? no, i haven't--and probably won't--see the film. i find all of speilburg's movies shallow, superficial, flash-bang stuff and way overrated. but what about his lincoln? his mary todd? his booth?

i apologize if this has been raked over, but i have been away for a bit. where is the correct forum for the movie?

tom goodrich
02-05-2013, 05:59 PM
From the reviews that I have heard from people who are really into Lincoln history, Tom, you are in the right thread -- The WOW factor!

However, I am in the same category as you. I have not seen the movie either because of my walking problems. I do intend to see it when it comes out on DVD.

The best review I have seen/heard so far actually came from my staff member, Joan Chaconas. Joan NEVER goes to the movies and seldom watches TV. However, she did see the Lincoln movie in Gettysburg during the annual Lincoln Forum. She actually called me from the hotel to rave about the movie. In more or less her words, she now "believes in reincarnation because Lincoln has come back to life in Daniel Day-Lewis!" She thought the whole production was wonderful.

On the opposite side, some people have told me that they didn't understand a lot of the politicking in it, and others have said that they wished they knew more history before seeing it. Of course, a lot of my friends were disappointed that it did not go into the assassination.

I have a feeling that the National Geographic Channel's docu-drama, Killing Lincoln, on February 17, 8 pm, will solve that problem. Since I love your book, The Darkest Dawn, I think you will enjoy how well the production crew of that project made a silk purse out of a sow's ear book.

P.S. You know better than to limit me to three sentences or less!
02-06-2013, 06:48 AM
well, as far as your bud who shelled out a day's wages for the ticket, glad someone was ecstatic. still, i will wait for your report. i've heard the typical stuff we history curmudgeons curmudge: lincoln overdone, lincoln underdone, mary WAY too sane and sensible, modern words in the script, clothing, etc......one friend said that it is just a bore.

one of my favorite recent history movies of note is The Assassination of Jesse James, by the Sneaking Sniveling Little Cowardly Rat and Hunchback, Robert Ford. To me, it don't get much closer to the period than that. even the script, especially the script, is so well paced and languid and ever-so-nineteenth-century that it felt strange coming out of the theater to hear people talking about "yeah, you know, like it was a, you know, a weird movie and all, you know?"

guess what we really want is not an accurate movie, so much as a time machine to take us back then, then bring us back here later (or maybe just leave us back there)

thanks, laurie...as jesse would have said, "you're a peach."
04-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Roger's site has been up for less than a year, and already there are over 15,600 posts made to over 750 different threads.

Evidently Roger, several of us really like what you've done to the place. Thanks for creating an educational, entertaining, and uplifiting site.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Awesome!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2013, 09:14 PM
This is a great site!
04-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Thanks, folks. Computers and Lincoln have been my retirement hobby for over 15 years now. I feel blessed.
04-12-2013, 05:38 AM
And....217 members in only 10 months! AWESOME it most certainly is!!

Thanks, Roger!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
And make sure you check the members' list each day to see how many people are logging on that day. Even if they don't post, they are sure following along. To me, this forum is exactly what any good, educational site should be.
04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
There is NOTHING better than this Forum!---Thanks Roger and friends.
04-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Thank You Roger
Tom