Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff
01-16-2013, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 08:01 PM by John E..)
Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff
In an earlier thread, many people ventured guesses as to when the photo of General Hartranft and his staff was taken by Alexander Gardner. It seemed logical that the photo was taken on the same day as the execution. Mark Katz (biographer of Alexander Gardner) states as much in his book Witness To An Era.

However, Katz does not provide any supporting documentation. This led me to take a closer look at the photos to try and determine if there are any clues that might help narrow down an accurate time-frame.

With a little brainstorming between me, Barry and Betty Ownsbey, I think we have come up with a plausible date for the photo.

We know for a fact that Gardner was issued a pass to the Arsenal grounds on July 5 - two days before the execution. The general assumption was that he used that day to scout for ideal locations to take photos and set up his equipment.

It looks as though he may have taken the group photo that day as well. Here are the observations that led to the conclusion:

1. Upon closer review, General Hartranft, Surgeon Porter and Col. Dodd are all wearing Mourning Crape in honor of President Lincoln. It is HIGHLY unlikely and probably inappropriate for them to have worn the black cloth on the day of the conspirators' execution. They wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about who they were mourning.

2. Several flies can be seen on the men in the group photo. July 4th was supposedly a rain soaked day in the Nation's capital and would explain the muddy appearance of the men's boots and sloshy ground. It also might explain the presence of flies scurrying about. July 7 was extremely warm and journalists commented on the dry dirt near the graves. - Thanks Betty.

3. Most of General Hartranft's staff can be seen wearing white gloves during the execution. They aren't wearing them in the group shot.

4. July 7 was a very bright and sunny day and many folks in attendance wore hats and carried umbrellas to block the sunlight. None of the men in the group photo have their hats on.

Some of the observations carry less weight than the others and could be explained away.

Thoughts ? Your opinions or comments are welcomed.

P.S. - I haven't talked to Barry today and he may not agree but we did hammer out some observations together.

2 additional observations:

1. The man seated on the far left (Capt. R.A. Watts) in the group photo is holding a kepi. In the execution photos, he is pictured wearing an officer's slouch hat.

2. The man standing in the center (Lt. Geissinger) is pictured in the execution photos wearing a small type of white ribbon tied around the front of his neck. In the execution photos, he's wearing a similar ribbon, but its much larger and noticeable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 09:24 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff
John and I had a great discussion today on these photographs -

Thanks, John! (Post is graphics intensive - sorry!)

Here is General Hartranft and Staff - rather <ahem> "fly blown!" (Red Circles)

[Image: generalhartranftandstaf.jpg]

Hartranft's knee with flies and Porter with fly

[Image: fliesandmosquitoesandna.jpg]

Watt's Muddy Boots

[Image: sboots.jpg]

Geissinger's String Tie

[Image: geissingertie3.jpg]

Hartranft's Crepe

[Image: hartranftcrepe.jpg]

Dodd's Crepe Rosette

[Image: doddcrepe.png]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-17-2013, 06:04 AM
(01-16-2013 07:36 PM)John E. Wrote:  We know for a fact that Gardner was issued a pass to the Arsenal grounds on July 5 - two days before the execution. The general assumption was that he used that day to scout for ideal locations to take photos and set up his equipment.

Kudos to Barry, John, and Betty for all the work you folks do. I never thought twice about that photo - I always just assumed it was taken July 7. This is fascinating.

I was wondering about the time frame when the verdicts became public knowledge. When were they first announced in the newspapers? I think they were sealed on or about June 30. Would Gardner have known on July 5 that the executions would be July 7? Who issued the pass to Gardner for July 5? I think I once read that the prisoners could actually hear the construction of the gallows. Is there a date for that? I think they learned their fate on July 6. Was it Johnson who set July 7? Would Gardner have known that on July 5? Could he have been given an "early tip" on what would ensue?

I guess I am basically asking "who knew what?" and "when did they know it?"
01-17-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm wondering what relevance the flies are. Surely on any hot day, flies will be present? What does this have to do with rainy weather?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
01-17-2013, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 08:20 AM by BettyO.)
It rained on the 4th of July (big thunderstorm, supposedly.) The grass; yard would have been damp on the 5th of July and flies are drawn to the damp, humid areas --

It was damp, VERY humid (you've got to experience one of our hot, humid summers, Maddie! YUK!!) so the flies would be swarming around. The ground looks muddy and damp. Watts' boots also appear muddy. Add to this hot, sweaty bodies, hair pomade (Dodd seems to have "helmet head" almost with as much pomade as he seems to have in his hair!) made of lard, beeswax and perfume and you've got an instant fly magnet usually!

By the 7th, however, after three torpid days, the heat and humidity had dried out the wetness left from the thunderstorms on the 4th and practically baked the ground. The ground under the scaffold in that horrid photo of the dangling bodies looks baked and dusty - not damp and wet.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Impressive analysis....you have me convinced.
thanks for sharing this with all of us

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 12:28 PM by BettyO.)
Thanks, Gene!

Quote:I was wondering about the time frame when the verdicts became public knowledge. When were they first announced in the newspapers? I think they were sealed on or about June 30. Would Gardner have known on July 5 that the executions would be July 7? Who issued the pass to Gardner for July 5? I think I once read that the prisoners could actually hear the construction of the gallows. Is there a date for that? I think they learned their fate on July 6. Was it Johnson who set July 7? Would Gardner have known that on July 5? Could he have been given an "early tip" on what would ensue?

I guess I am basically asking "who knew what?" and "when did they know it?"

Roger -- As far as I know, the verdicts became public knowledge (as well as private as the conspirators knew) on the morning of July 6th for Mom and the boys and in the "Second Edition" or evening printing of July 6th for the public. This was in local Washington DC papers such as the Star. However, the National Republican which had excellent coverage by Reporter R. F. Boiseau, published their notice on July 7 and the actual hanging on July 8. Other papers outside of DC, seem to have carried the news of the four being notified of their death sentence on the 7th and the hanging on the 8th.

I'll let John answer with the rest here -

Thanks!

01-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Betty. That is why I was curious as to Gardner obtaining a pass on the 5th. I wonder if someone tipped him off on what was about to transpire.
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
good point Roger!
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Roger, John knows the full particulars on that and hopefully, he'll post soon -- if not, I'll call him ASAP -

01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi Roger, Gen. Hancock's official orders to Gen. Hartranft regarding the executions was dated July 6, 1865. The letter can be found in both the Harold/Steers book as well as Swanson and Weiberg's book.

As Betty mentioned, newspapers and lawyers received word on July 6th as well. Apparently, everyone had a little over 24 hours to prepare for the hangings. Not just the condemned, but Hartranft, Hancock, his staff and the carpenters at the Arsenal.

Gardner's pass was signed by General Hunter but may have been issued by someone else. In any case, I don't believe he was tipped off early. I believe he was there to take pictures of Hartranft and his staff. The main sticking point for me that led me to this conclusion was that the men are wearing Mourning Crape in the group photo. Perhaps its safer to say (As Barry suggested) that the group photo was NOT taken on July 7th rather than stating it was for certain taken on July 5th.

I just think the evidence is really pointing that way.
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I certainly agree, John!

Thanks ever so much!!

01-17-2013, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 03:59 PM by John E..)
On a side note, Gardner took photos of the Commission and prosecution team on June 6 in his studio.

Back to the Hartranft photo: My initial thoughts about the group photo was that it was taken AFTER the executions and on the same day. After spotting the mourning crape, I then questioned July 7 being the date at all. Add in Gardner having a pass to be there on the 5th and there you have it.

If Gardner didn't have knowledge of the execution being two days later, why was he there on the 5th ? No sketches or photos were allowed in the courtroom and besides, the trial was already over. We do know that Gardner had a special relationship with the government but was it strong enough that he had foreknowledge of the executions? I'm not convinced.

I'll keep digging for references as to when the verdicts were approved and the execution orders reaching Hancock's desk.
01-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks, John. I know you and Barry have found other pieces of information that go against the "traditional accounts" as well. Kudos on all of your discoveries and all the countless hours you have spent researching.
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Roger. We specialize in the minutia! For whatever reason, I get a kick out of this stuff. Unfortunately, I have found that Mark Katz took many liberties with his book. I understand he is deceased now and don't want to speak ill of him but some of the stuff is glaring.

He mentions that Timothy O'Sullivan ran in to Hartranft and his men before the execution and convinced them to take a photo in the courtyard. Katz gave us no sources to verify this story. I'd rather he just add that it was his speculation and not fact.

I personally don't have any reason to believe O'Sullivan was even there. No one, not any first hand accounts or newspaper articles mention O'Sullivan being there. Unfortunately, Oldroyd made a claim that O'Sullivan was with Gardner for the Mug Shot photos. He went so far as to ADD O'Sullivan's name when he transcribed an official War Department.

Katz piggy-backed that claim and took it a step further. Wild stuff.