01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
"The Abolitionists" on PBS
It premieres January 8, 15 & 22, 2013.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperien...itionists/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 03:40 PM
RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS
Thanks for posting that Linda. I am going to watch it.
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
I couldn't have watched it anyway on Jan. 8th-was celebrating Elvis' 78th birthday. No, just kidding. I completely missed this one, so thanks for letting us know. And yes-Elvis would have been 78 years old. He died at 42-way too young!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I ordered the BBC cd of 'Copper' and found it great. It takes place in NYC in 1864 and is a fascinating look at the effect of the war on the Blacks, Irish and wealthy who lived there during that time. The costumes and sets are great and it is true to history. Very gritty. It begins after the draft riots and ends with the attempt to burn the city. Even JWB makes an appearance.

I can't wait for season2. For those who haven't seen it - it's worth your while.
01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Part 1 was very informative. Looking forward to the rest.
01-10-2013, 03:28 AM
The abolitionists were quite a radical force in the first half of the 19th century ( I would have liked to have watched this. but I work afternoons and do not have the ability to record programs). I wonder though if any of them had the mindset of what we would consider 20th century civil rights supporters.
01-10-2013, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 07:46 AM by Linda Anderson.)
(01-10-2013 03:28 AM)ejsnyder Wrote:  The abolitionists were quite a radical force in the first half of the 19th century ( I would have liked to have watched this. but I work afternoons and do not have the ability to record programs). I wonder though if any of them had the mindset of what we would consider 20th century civil rights supporters.

You can find the program on the PBS website. Try this link. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperien...itionists/

If it doesn't open, try this: http://video.pbs.org/video/2274405136/
01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
It is kinda interesting to consider that Eli Whitney inadvertently set the course that led to the start of the Civil War.
01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
I did not realize until I read Nora Titone's great book, My Thoughts Be Bloody, that Edwin Booth was contributing to the abolitionist cause - largely through his friendship with the Howes. Julia and her husband appear to have been large contributors to John Brown and his raid on Harpers Ferry.
01-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Good information! It is indeed strange how two brothers (Edwin & John) could have been so different. I believe that the influence that Junius had on Edwin while the two traveled the country must have been the difference in how Edwin became an abolitionist. Imagine how history would have been so much different had Young John tagged along with the pair!

Craig
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Part 2 of "The Abolitionists" is on PBS tonight at 9 o'clock.
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Part 3 of "The Abolitionists" is on PBS tonight at 9.
01-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Linda.
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Didn't catch any of it! Does the series mention Zachariah Chandler?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2013, 11:40 PM
(01-22-2013 10:39 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Didn't catch any of it! Does the series mention Zachariah Chandler?

No, the show focused on Frederick Douglass, William Lloyd Garrison, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Angelina Grimke and John Brown.