If Lincoln had not died
12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
If Lincoln had not died
I know this has most likely been put forwards before, but I'll ask it again.

What does everyone honestly think would have happened if Lincoln had not been assassinated? Any vast changes? Any better or worse things?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
RE: If Lincoln had not died
Maddie -

Lincoln's theory was to "let them down easy"; i.e. the South and I personally think that reconstruction would have been a lot less stressful and probably easier for the South. There would not have been so much of a revengeful mode for reconstruction towards Southerners to my mind of thinking....

Wild Bill probably has some super ideas on this!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
I read that president Johnson revoked Sherman's Special Field Orders No. 15 and ordered the land taken back off the freed slaves. Do you suppose this would have happened if Lincoln had lived? I don't think it would.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
I have always had a nagging doubt in my mind that Lincoln could have achieved the "perfect" Reconstruction that he (and we) envisioned him having. I base this solely on the whims of the Radicals in Congress.

Contrary to what it seems like today, it is still Congress that makes the laws in our system of government (or at least is supposed to!). While Congress supported Lincoln and his wartime measures, I wonder - once the war was over - whether they would have continued to support Lincoln's peacetime measures. Would their human nature's cry for revenge been louder than Lincoln's proposals?
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Individually, if Lincoln had lived to an old age, I think he would have become an "elder statesman" in American politics. He might also have become more involved in literary endeavors.
12-31-2012, 08:48 PM
I always wondered about what was meant by "Let them up easy" Did A.L. mean give them an easy time coming back into the union, or easy, as in slowly, not too fast, as in "let them up.......easy". For some that might remember Bob and Ray's radio bit, "ground hog meat on sale" or "groundhog meat on sale".
12-31-2012, 10:40 PM
(12-31-2012 11:03 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I have always had a nagging doubt in my mind that Lincoln could have achieved the "perfect" Reconstruction that he (and we) envisioned him having. I base this solely on the whims of the Radicals in Congress.

Contrary to what it seems like today, it is still Congress that makes the laws in our system of government (or at least is supposed to!). While Congress supported Lincoln and his wartime measures, I wonder - once the war was over - whether they would have continued to support Lincoln's peacetime measures. Would their human nature's cry for revenge been louder than Lincoln's proposals?

You just voiced what I've always thought, Laurie. It does make one think just how willing Congress would have been to go along with Lincoln's envisioned peaceful endeavors back then.
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
If Lincoln had not died... He had said he would return to Springfield again and resume his law practice with Billy Herndon. He told Mary that he wanted to see other places-possibly the Holy Land. Maybe Robert Lincoln would have been okay with the idea of being a U.S. president. And perhaps Mary would have lived in better health-mentally and physically. And the country? Probably the healing would have taken place sooner-and civil rights more fully obtained quicker as well. And one would hope that if Lincoln had never been assassinated, that the precedent not having been established, would have been enough to prevent the assassinations of the other presidents-because such an unthinkable act was just that-beyond the pale of anyone's imagination...if Lncoln had not died.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2013, 10:02 PM
John Wilkes Booth did the south a major disservice by eliminating a man that would have at least attempted to let the vanquished up easy. I agree with Laurie, however, in that it is doubtful that Lincoln would have got all he wanted after the war had ended. There were far too many radicals in congress for things to heal that quickly.

Also, I may be wrong about this, but since the end of the Civil War, Lincoln has been demonized in the south somewhat. I say this based on my experience interacting with historical reenactors that I have mingled with throughout the years. Most of them, however, hold objective and often sympathetic views, but there is an element that believe (like Booth) that the election of Lincoln was the the last straw, and Lincoln was a despotic tyrant. I guess that history will judge the 16th President in the end, and that even 150 years after the war it is still too early to form an objective view of his Presidency.

Craig
01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I think you're right on the mark, Craig, but I feel Lincoln would have been a steady hand on the wheel. He wouldn't have got all he wanted with the Radicals, but I think his legacy would have been even greater had he lived. He would be remembered for not only guiding the country through a divisive Civil War, but binding it back together afterwards.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I looked for the text on the Internet and came up blank, but I know back in the 1930's Lloyd Lewis gave an address on this topic, and he said Lincoln would have succeeded in Reconstruction by forming an entirely new political party.
01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Roger,

Just sent you Lewis's speech via e-mail.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
01-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Many thanks, Rob!

I have uploaded it, and the address by Lloyd Lewis can be read here.

It's a big file, and if you have a dial-up connection to the Internet, it probably would be best to avoid this link as it would take quite a long time to download.
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Roger, Rob, This is the first time that I have ever read this article. Lloyd Lewis is one of my favorites, even if his work is outdated.

Craig
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
That uploaded article is great. Isn't he the author of Myths After Lincoln? I remember really enjoying that book. Now, if I can just find my copy of it...it's here somewhere...

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user